Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MG 5

• 08-01-2022 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Any real boardie feedback on the MG5?

I don't see any other MG5 thread, so thought it would be worthwhile creating one

We like estate cars and are thinking of the MG5, having a 7 year warranty is all well and good, but I don't want to be going back to the garage every month to get stuff fixed, and from what I've read even the VW electric cars have issues, so I'm wondering if the MG is any better.

Anyone have one that could give some feedback/info on it.

What do you love/hate about it and what issues have you had to get resolved.

Thanks 👍

Post edited by liamog on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭podge3

I researched both the MG5 and MG ZS EV recently when I was changing my car. I was interested in the ZS but was offered an insult on a trade-in with my Leaf so I didn't buy.

Nothing wrong with either car IMHO. The MG5 is very bland (again IMHO). My main concern would be residual values.

So, if you don't have a trade-in and are not concerned about the future value of the car, it's certainly worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The 5 is cheaper but very bland ,prefer the ZS a lot more , 5 would be more spacious

Would have no fear about reliability with either and both exceptional value, I've driven the ZS and was very pleasantly surprised

Dacia Duster hold their value well as nothing else in that price bracket comparable, I would not be overly concerned about residuals with MG EV,s as nothing comparable in the EV range to it either

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭kenneth2

Thanks podge3, I agree with both points.

It is very bland but herself likes it, so happy wife happy life!

The residuals for estate cars are always bad 🙂 no garage wants a second hand estate in their forecourt, but I guess it will all depend on the demand, and if in a few years people want to buy an electric estate or a ICE one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

There's a few threads about them but they seem impossible to find since the upgrade. Most people generally seem to be getting on well with them. Dealer issues in the UK seem to exasperate issues if you search online but they're fine for the price.

• Advertisement

Thanks I see the MG electric cars thread there now, the search is shocking alright since the update(can we even call it an update... Really a downgrade)

Admin/Mod, you can move this to under the MG electric cars thread so

Estates are great but the consumer wants SUV,s nowadays, has she seen the ZS ?, not that much more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Have you seen the facelift version? I saw one in the dealers and did a double take it's lovely. Big step up from the previous one which was a good car but this has all the new tech and looks sleeker.

I've a ZS on order. Due in Feb. Dealer offered me 14.5k for my 2015 outlander Phev. I paid 16.5k for it 3.5 years ago. Brought it in from the UK so that 16k price included flights and registering it so. Felt it was a good time to move on at that price.

I saw the facelift version online, I didn't think it was available in Ireland, where did you see the facelift version?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It’s ok.

it’s an A to B car for those that want an EV at the lowest price point.

Original falls short on range but the October 2021 refresh got the bigger battery and transforms the car.

Feels that it cheaper inside except for the steering wheel. That feels very VW like.

I have heard of issues with rusting and parts shortage for repairs in the UK but no direct experience with that just yet here.

Originally I went with white but got a bit nervous and changed to black.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Saw the ZS on display up at Carrickmines in Dublin. Looks way better in the flesh I have to say. They have a red up there and looks great. 👌

red or blue would be my only choices but each to their own as they say , I was very pleasantly surprised with the ZS , incredible value

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Dubwat

I have an MG 5 Long Range about 3 months. I use it as a taxi so my viewpoint will probably be different than yours.

It's a very comfortable car to drive both in the city and on the motorway. The steering wheel is just the right size for me and just the right 'weight' as well. Visibility is good with big side mirrors. A rear camera (which works well at night too) helps with reversing. Seats are very comfortable, even in the back. Back seats have two isofix points and a sensor that beeps if the rear passengers doesn't put on their seatbelts.

I have the Excite basic version while the Exclusive version is about €2k more. Personally, the extras weren't worth the money to me. YMMV.

Niggles/Cons:

Software:

The software is a let-down. I only need the radio so it's not a big deal to me. The current software is slow and annoying (could be me). E.g. there's a beep warning if you leave lane and a warning graphic comes up on the screen. Most people will take their eyes off the road to look at the screen! It doesn't do a good job of detecting the speed limit. E.g.2 There's a bug where it thinks the motorway speed limit is "70". MG Ireland know this but whether it will ever be fixed is anyone's guess.

The software doesn't remember your preferences. For example, I like to drive in Eco mode and have the radio screen open. They get reset every time I restart the car.

The sofware is much improved in the 2022 ZS so I presume that will carry over to the 2022 MG5's.

Boot:

I'm not gonna say the boot is small because someone will start quoting sizes at me. Instead I'll say it's not as big as I thought it would be. A baby buggy or golf bag will fit in but the wheel arches make it awkward. The boot could do with an extra couple of centimetres either side. The flap of the parcel shelf 'flops' down and reduces the opening space available. Loading in shopping bags is a bit of a niggle because you keep banging your hand against the flap.

External bodyshape:

The body tapers in from the middle of the body towards the top/roof. I like to drive with the window open a little bit. If it's raining, the rain drips from the roof lip straight into the cabin and onto my arm. I haven't experienced that in any other car. Obviously rain will enter an open window but not like in the MG5.

USB ports:

They still claim to have 4 USB ports in both versions of the car (pg 19, PDF brochure). Mine doesn't have the 2 in the back. I don't mind because passengers would probably break them but if you had ideas of kids+tablets in the back...

Android Auto - this is the work of the Devil.

Despite all I've written, I am glad I bought the car. It's the right combo of everything to make my job comfortable. The software is disappointing but I don't use it. If you're a young family with a large weekly shop and children's buggies, the boot might be an issue.

Here are two Youtube review videos from an Irish guy. I have no connection but I think he does honest reviews.

MG5 Long Range: https://youtu.be/TaSjJXNuIJI (old)

New software on 2022 ZS: https://youtu.be/cTr5jUvO0IM (new)

Red is nice, silver is really nice too. All the colours are nice to be honest. But the dealer had white or black left in the Feb delivery or else I'd be waiting for the next delivery.

Surely in the grand scheme of things its worth waiting a little longer for the preferred colour ?

Nah, I've waited long enough to buy a new car and more than happy with the black. It's nice and it's a safe colour for resale. Red is hard to sell. White is the base, black, blue and silver are €700 more and red is 900.

Even though 36k is a "bargain" it is still a serious chunk out of money. At that level every 100 more is hard to find.

Neutral colours are always easier to sell. Applies to houses and cars.

• Advertisement

Always assumed red was a popular colour ?

Is blue popular ?

I mean is it easy to sell on ?

Post edited by Mad_maxx on

Blue would be a bit better. Red is a strong colour so you are limiting the future market to people that like red. Where as neutral colours people rarely feel too strongly about. It does also need to take into account the car and the shape. SUV shape does prevent it looking like a red sports car that would put people off red. So prob not as big an issue for the MG.

Anyway, I thought the black looks nice. It hides the plastic grill a bit better and the chrome parts look good in black.

Agreed ,it does look well, the ZS is quite tall ,tall as an Audi etron actually

Thanks exactly the kind of info I was interested in.

Is that metallic red that's available ?, if not , probably more likely to fade in the long run than say blue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Does anyone know if the MG5 EV here https://www.mg.ie/model/mg5-ev is the 2022 model? or is there a newer one yet to come out?

I'm thinking of getting this one, but if there is a newer model coming out I'll wait.

That's the long-range version of the old one. (It was updated a little while ago with a bigger battery but not a new look).

But this is the new one that is coming, it is available in the EU now, so UK & Ireland should be ready to order or at least here this year. https://mgmotor.eu/model/mg5

Nice upgrade, with the new software and infotainment unit etc.

oh , Sorry , thought the range was too high to be the old one

• Advertisement

cousin of mine ordered a new MG ZS , originally told it would arrive in April , now put back until August , you would imagine the same delays exist for the 5 ?

Advertisement