Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conservation - 19th century Christening robe

• 06-01-2022 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭

Has anybody on here any knowledge of fabric conservation?

This old family christening robe, made in the 1860's, is now quite damaged. Lace, hand stitching, fine lawn now very frayed and decaying, etc.

There has been previous "repairs and restoration", allegedly by a professional conservator but to a very poor standard.

(I mean, using Bondaweb? As well as coarse patches, modern materials, etc)

It is a lovely piece and embodies a lot of family history; so I would really like to have it mended - or at least conserved - by someone who knows what they are doing. But I'd rather get a recommendation for someone good, considering the previous "expert" and the grossly amateur work they produced. For a handsome fee, too, I heard.

(Not arranged by me, I hasten to add)

Any recommendations for proper, skilled textile conservation?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Deregos.

I don't know these Textile conservators but they are registered as such on here.

https://www.icriconservation.ie/

Rachel Phelan Textile Conservation

16 Bannaville Ranelagh 6, D6,

rvmphelan@gmail.com

PHONE (01)4912007 or 0857140073

. . .

Roísín Miles

Co. Galway

roisinmiles@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

@Deregos Thank you very much.

Yes, I had seen that list. But hesitated to approach any of those named for fear they should turn out to be the "professional" mender that the family previously employed!

So, I was hoping somebody had a personal or direct knowledge of a conservator with genuine skill.

Advertisement