Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Two Johnnies for 2fm Drive

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Is it there stich not almost identical to Hector's.

I don't know. I can't say I am a fan. But they have a built in audience. If their podcast audience follows them to RTE 2 or 2FM or what ever it's called now. It might work.

What's the deal with 2FM these days. Give someone a slot. Then give them two years to run it into the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

My question, who the bloody hell is listening to them on their podcast, does anyone have any sort of accurate figures for their listenership? Didnt realise we had so many boggers in the country, depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Has it started?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭its_steve116

I think RTÉ will (or should) save money and go with one of their own existing hosts. Who does everybody think would be the most likely? Stephen Byrne? Chris & Ciara? Carl & Aifric?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I suggest RTE Gold is relayed during these 3 hours - with a break for News, Traffic and Sports.

Would be more popular with the listeners and save money.

• Advertisement

Interesting suggestion!

If Carl & Aifric get drive Conor Moore should be Doireann and Donncha's new breakfast co-host, he's pretty funny.

I like the idea of RTÉ Gold in the drivetime slot but there would have to be compromises. Maybe make the music a bit more recent (ie 00s/10s, maybe very late 90s) to make it more youth-driven? Sort of a "2FM throwback" kind of show. I'm 27 and am very into my older music, I use it as a backup when I get bored with more current stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 12,353 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I don't see the appeal of Carl. I'd rate Doireann more than him and that's saying very little

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Both Carl and Doireann (and Donnacha to be fair) come across as having genuine good hearts. They come across as friends of the listeners rather than lecturers or moaners or just drone voices.

Doesn’t appeal to everyone I know but then nobody ever has.

So 2FM have posted a clip from the Jennifer Zampereli show today of a "voice note" from The 2 Johnnies inviting her down to Cahir for an outside broadcast. I'd say that's to formally announce the new show.

What 2FM needs for the drivetime show is a presenter who gets the balance right between Dublin and non-Dublin audiences.

• Advertisement

OK I don't know how many times you've left the confines of the M50, let alone crossed the Shannon, but we're not all death notices obsessed cowboys out here. A Cork listener is a different listener to an Ennis listener to a Carlow listener to a Letterkenny listener. National radio is a lot more complex than Dublin/Not Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭KildareP

It's not even a Dublin vs non-Dublin thing. 2fm are doing equally as bad outside of Dublin. Beat, Spin SW and the two iRadio regions are all well ahead of 2fm in their respective target markets.

They tried to win the Dublin market by taking FM104's breakfast show and hoping the Dubliners would switch over and it didn't work.

They tried to win over non-Dublin with Hector and that failed to do so either.

The landscape has changed a lot since the Dempsey/Ryan/Gogan/Fenton/O'Callaghan/Lang days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,353 ✭✭✭✭siblers

How would being from Dublin/not being from Dublin have any impact on a show like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

Dan Healy's schedules have been a complete disaster for 2fm, he has brought the listenership to about 3% in Dublin and about 5% everywhere else. The big question is, why is he still there? His predecessor John McMahon got dumped from the job for having more than twice the current listenership

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Just seen the 2 Johnnies have confirmed it on their Facebook page. 3pm-6pm Mon-Fri. Drive It.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

15 hours per week of these guys ??

Far too much

I'll give it 1 year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭RoTelly

So lets get this right

3 morning presenters

1 mid morning presenter

1 afternoon presenter

2 mid afternoon presenter (that are going to pretend its drive time when it only hits one hour of peak drive time)

2 Sport drive time presenters

9 presenters for 5 shows, in fairness most are 3 hours long.

Wouldn't they make for a better morning pair than drive time-ish?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement

Well 2FM, there go your Dublin listeners from 3-6pm on weekdays.

Well, that's one county. Thankfully there's still 25 others in the Republic and about 4 more able to pick up the 2FM frequencies. Though I do feel there should be a comma on the show's name.

"D'rive it (like you stole it 😋)“

Instead of getting rid of Louise McSharry I would have put her on the drivetime show. 2FM has made a stupid mistake putting those two clowns on the show and I know it won't last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

Why are 2fm and the two lads pretending this is some sort of surprise when I posted here a month ago???

True, but I'm not sure how many people outside of Tipp are going to tune in.

If 2FM wanted a regionally produced drivetime show, JJ would have been my choice, but he's in charge of the Late Late Show social media so that kind of rules him out. Plus he actually is a DJ and passionate about music.

Maybe because the Sunday World isn't a reliable source. Anyway, good luck to them on trying to break Dublin... fat chance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

I could be wrong but they are/were the most listened to weekly podcast in Ireland. Im indifferent to them, but i wont be tuning in. they very well could help bring in some listeners. You may not like them but they have a big demand and listenership to the podcasts and live shows, they've sold out venues like 3 arena etc too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I think this is a daft sentiment, how many f-ing culshies live in Dublin and also how many Dubliners have at least 1 country parent. I mean they really are just a version of Colm and Jim-Jim or Dermo and Dave or even Cormac Battle and Rick O'Shea.

The problem with 2fm is music, They had pretty much fixed that problem between 1pm and 6pm. The problem is with the Breakfast Show, Jenny Z and Game On.

Louise McSharry had lost and audience. She possibly should have been given Jenny Z slot, but it is likely that Jenny Z got a pay rise when she took over on DWTS and demanded her own radio show as her co-host from DWTS left 2FM.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Hector got a bit annoying and all, but he's actually capable of telling a decent story and being engaging. Just had to tone it down some times. His travel shows were genuinely good. These are just a bit bland and MoR, and for people who like to wear their GAA tops as part of everyday wear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Sam Tyler

I’ve nothing personal against The 2 Johnnies they have a successful podcast and do TV etc etc

My issue here is 2fm and what they are continually doing by bringing in “personalities” to host shows. See breakfast , midmorning and now drive time.

How does anyone that’s not a blogger/influencer/zlisterer make it in radio ? What about all the students studying radio trying to catch a break ? All the genuine radio people up n down the country that can only dream of catching a break like this.

Fair enough corporate run radio stations but 2fm is funded by the licensing fee and should be a ground to nurture and encourage new talent.

Advertisement