Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Two Johnnies for 2fm Drive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

It would be a fine thing to be listening to Ed Sheeran on repeat than these two bell ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭cms88

I'm surprised Hazel Chu hasn't said anything about it. Would be right down her street you'd have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Imagine if a woman said something. Then imagine the lack of outrage. Then imagine...

ABSOLUTE DISGRACE

Not sure what you mean. Unless you think it's disgraceful that men are held to a different standard than women. Then I agree.

But I have a feeling you may be coming at this from a different angle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭yagan

The supposed offence taken in context makes RTE look extremely cloistered against the internet age.

Criticism of the online player is water off a ducks back as long as they've their license tithe.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eastie17

What version will come back I wonder? And of course there'll have to be the big apology at the beginning. If its a sanitised, watch everything you say version then not sure if theres much point

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I thought the events of two months ago were supposed to be a watershed moment in how women are treated?

Yet another thing topical for a week and then forgotten about.

It's gonna stay in the Johnathans minds now. They'll be running everything they're going to say over in their head first before saying it.

They could take the piss out of the situation, saying before every fun segment "some listeners may be offended, but thanks for tuning in anyway!"

These two need to be stopped going on air. For the sake of humanity.

• Advertisement

Dont think they'll get away with that, it'll have to be corporate soup all the way or no comeback lads I'd say. Which goes back to what I was saying about whats the point so. Anyway, there's bigger problems in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's a general entertainment show. Get over it. Either grow up or sober up, whichever applies.

Jesus Shirley you’re getting very strung. You on the vino early.

I can't see them changing who they are either, so RTE will have to accept some ribbing.

Also prior to RTE the lads built their own fanbase so they won't want to alienate their followers just because someone who doesn't like them decided to take offence.

In their respective paths of travel I think the whole shambolic incident has only bolstered the lads profile at RTE's expense. They'll now be on the backfoot with every internet grown following.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jo187

I've seen a little bit of the lads and it's not for me. I'm not going comment on the clip in question as didn't see it.

I will say it was nice of RTE to do something with the lads after the success they had with there own podcast. Going outside there usual circle.

But there a lot more comedy talent out there doing well online and RTE can't seem to be bothered giving them anything. Of course this talent will leave to go to England.

Actually Brexit Britain is upstaging our best comedy talent. You couldn't write it.

I agree with your take on the lads, RTE needs to be engaging with internet grown followerships, regardless of taste.

Many moons ago long before the internet I interviewed for some RTE trainee technical position and they seemed most interested in if I could use a hurley (Where I'm from we call it a hurl but that didn't stop the interviewers correcting me). Other questions were about bogs and cows etc.. Very openly they told me they needed more country accents and wanted to know if I'd be open to going in front of camera. I was there for a technical trainee position, but I guess it was easier for them to ask their tick box questions of anyone walking though their doors rather than actually going to the country.

It left an impression of them being adrift and disinterested of anything outside their institutional bubble and that estrangement to my mind was at the heart of their overreaction with the Two Johnnies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

This was confirmed on this boards discussion yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I think you’re right. The over-reaction from 2fm is a publicity stunt.

The two boyos probably were told they’d have to change their shtick for the national audience, and now they have good reason to.

They made a big deal in advance of starting the radio show about being prepped by solicitors and asking people not to sue them.

They were lucky a TD took offence!

Adele your songs are grinding.

• Advertisement

I agree, I thought at the time that they were going on, when you look at other decisions 2FM had made about presenters that all they knew about them was 1. They are popular and 2 they are from the country. I dont see it ending well, like I cant imagine they will still be doing it in a years time but its not really going to hurt the lads so why wouldnt they do it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Yeah, the lads grew their followership independent of rte so they'll drive on regardless of rte.

Rte's kneejerk will have the lads weary of getting comfy there so now they'll always be on the lookout for more autonomy.

I can see that working to their advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭johnplayer

All they have is what they are . Lack of content is what will eventually take them down . They’re “ one trick ponies “ and like all thats gone before them they’ll be found out . It’ll be short lived regardless. There’s longevity in intelligent humour but not in their offering .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Your numerous attempts to be funny in this thread are absolutely tragic. Junior cert stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The two lads should never have got involved with RTE, that's their biggest mistake.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

if you can get on the RTE rota you are set for life, cushy number, not many would turn it down, great exposure too

they got back on the air because they didn't do anything wrong, they were just laughing at the bumper stickers, even said some of them were bad, its the difference between laughing with and at someone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭cms88

They've a successful podcast, had success in music, had tours in Ireland and Abroad and other RTE shows not bad for “one trick ponies“

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Personally can't listen to them but don't hold the opinion that my taste in radio presenters supersedes the opinions of others. I do think a move to 2FM will be a restrictive one for them and their particular brand of marmite humour. The publicity this has received is a win/win for both parties. Surprised the cancel culture vultures didn't roll out the auld #The2misogynies tag.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

just seen a tweet from that other lad....

Advertisement