Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? (Irish Version)

Options
  • 04-01-2022 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Bit of a long shot, anyone know where to watch the full episodes?

YouTube only has a couple of clips. DailyMotion has the celebrity episode with Sinead O'Connor and Daniel O'Donnell.

The Wikipedia article says "The series will be available on RTE Player to celebrate 60 years of television from Christmas 2021" - but they don't appear to have been uploaded.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Friends romans countrymen lend me your ears.

THERE was a moment of blind terror on Who Wants To be A Millionaire? when for openers, Gaybo asked the contestant to complete the line: "Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me ... " and the contestant was inclined to answer: "A few bob."

But Gaybo is withal a kindly man, and in the ensuing seconds of mayhem, he won the battle of wills. He was perhaps mindful too that if he let the contestant settle on "a few bob", there might be a public outcry.

That's my only memory of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

My memory of it was that the questions were incredibly difficult at the lower rates and failed to engage with the audience because nobody lasted more than a couple of questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I remember one lad got asked a ridiculously niche question about moss which he got right to get him to 250,000

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

Gay Byrne was an awful host for it too. Far too cranky and impatient.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I remember at the time, Micheal Sheridan used to do a Chris Tarrant impersonation for Bull Island and I thought he'd be good at it for real. I can't see who'd do it here if it was to be revived. If it was RTE, you'd have the usual suspects, Tubs, Ray D'Arcy possibly Nicky Byrne. If Virgin Media were to expand on having the UK show rights, like they did with Family Fortunes, hard to say who'd be good from their talent pool. Martin King? Ray Foley? Maybe go female with Collette Fitzpatrick or Ciara King (this is the network that gave Eamon Dunphy The Weakest Link remember)

Aside from Mastermind, which never took off sadly, I don't think we've ever had a good Irish version of a foreign game show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I actually agree on Nicky Byrne - He can be empathetic too as-well-as having a somewhat witty personality. I think he'll have a big future in hosting (not that he doesn't already on Irish TV in fairness)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Nah, someone with a big cranky head that admits to be clueless, I think Clarkson is perfect for it to be honest.

Advertisement