Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VRT of Vintage cars

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ctbfashion

Hi all. Looking for some advice. I am planning on importing an old VW T2 bus 1975 into Ireland from outside Europe. Two questions

will I get charged VAT on the purchase price?

should I get the interior refit done before it’s shipped or when it arrives in ireland because it is altering its original state ? Any advie would be appreciated.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭kdevitt

The VAT charge will be based on the invoiced cost of the vehicle - hearing a few people saying they're also being asked for proof of payment too - i.e. evidence of a funds transfer etc. If its a private sale, you need to seller to provide you with some form of receipt - hand written is fine.

The vehicle is not inspected for VAT purposes, so it having a fresh retrim won't make a difference. You might need to explain why there was such a lag in between buying it and it arriving in Ireland though, presumably the retrim would take a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gerrymc5

Hey lads I've 2 cars ready for vrt in the new year. Both cars bought in Ireland on UK regs in 2019. Both car where bought with cash. They have been in restoration since 2019.

I have photos off the cars on my phone dated 2019 and 2020 and correspondence with the person I bought the cars off dating on watts app 2019

Will this be sufficient as proof the cars where in Ireland before 2021 and avoid payment of vat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

Doubt it very much but would be interested to hear. Which would be cheaper, VAT or fines?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Can anyone confirm whether VRT for over 30 is on date of first reg or just year of first reg and also motor tax for a 93 car ? Am I wrong in thinking its dependant on local authority in some form ? I am in Dublin. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Vrt is date of first reg, tax is based on year of manufacture but not all local authorities will abide by this.

Plus the problem with Dublin is the tax office is closed so you can’t speak to anyone at a counter.

Depends on local authority it seems. Wexford is a year of reg local authority

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Richi1984

Hi mate, it’s funny enough that I found you in this thread. The reason is that I’m exactly at the same spot you were at, a while ago. I’m just after buying a 1992 model Mx5 from a friend in the UK. It’s sitting at Birmingham waiting for me to figure out how I’m going to bring it over. Did you do customs declaration and Vat before bringing it over or after? Did you get in touch with the customs agent before going over?Do you have their contact? Would a written invoice do the job?

Im planning to drive it over to Liverpool and take a ferry. Anything to be done at the port there or here or you just drive it across like usual travelling? Do you have to show the VIN number at the ferry booking for VRT purpose?

Sorry for a lot of questions, but my head is about to burst after reading a lot of contradictory informations in internet. Any of your infos and advices would be much useful for me and il be very thankful as I’m in the same track as yours. Thanks

Hop in the car and drive it home! Pick a customs agent from the hundreds online and he will tell you what to do. VAT is 23% but could be 13% if you get the right guy. Duty is 10% of invoice value. VRT when you get an appointment at the VRT section at your nearest NCT centre and will be €200. Its an idea to know where the engine number and VIN number are as you might be asked. Keep all receipts of travel as you will be asked for this

• Advertisement

Thanks for your comment, really appreciate, that eased off the stress to mention first. I thought I have to pay duty and get clearance at the port and then only il be let out of the port to drive away. If that’s not needed I can drive in like any other car and then worry about, duty , VRT and vat. If the customs stops me would it be alright to say that I’m bringing this car to reregister or should I say something else? Do you know exactly why vat is 13% with some agents and 23% with others. Any recommended 13% guys? 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Oofol

Have you got the car in the end? Im curious what you had to pay as Im obviously planning same..

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ctbfashion

HI All,

so Finally my VW T2 bus shipped and is a couple of weeks away from landing in Dublin Port. I have the invoice, proof of payment and a copy of a document from the buyers local Motor registration Authority confirming the seller has cancelled his ownership and is exporting the van to Dublin Ireland this also quotes the Registration no. , Chassis no., engine no. and the brand and year of the vehicle.

Does anybody know if i need anymore paperwork to clear customs after VAT and Duty payments and when VRT ing will this be enough to get registered in my name?

im Panicking as i only have two weeks get all info together and finding it hard to find anything concrete online.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

Can anyone confirm one way or another are Revenue collecting 23% VAT AND 10% duty on a 30-year-old German car being brought in from the UK? I have the mechanism to have it exported VAT refunded from the UK under their refund system and then pay the VAT on entry to Ireland. But if I have to pay 10% duty as well then I'm adding 33% to the import cost(VAT & Duty) plus the €200 VRT plus the agent's fees!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭GSBellew

I'd be interested in the answer to this, out of curiosity more than anything.

To my knowledge there is no age point where VAT or Duty are not applicable on imports of anything from outside the EU, so if they are not being levied it would likely more to be to do with an operational mistake at the NCTS at the point of registration.

VAt and duty get paid to revenue at port of entry as far as I know and you can't get the VRT and reg unless you have proof of payment of these first.

The VAT rate is 23% but there are some saying that its 13%. The 13% rate is for cars that are collectors pieces and not driven on the roads here.

If you import a vehicle from UK to Ireland Customs Duty is 0% if the vehicle originated in the UK. If you import a vehicle from UK to Ireland Customs Duty is 10% if the vehicle originated outside the UK, e.g. a EU country or a third country like USA, Japan.

Have a chat with CarClear.ie - (I am not connected to them in any way)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭draycottgirlz

Anyone know what forms need to be completed when importing a car driving from the UK onto the ferry?

Having just done this for the first time on a 33-year-old BMW bought in the UK on the 2nd of September 2023

No import duty to pay but VAT at 23% on the cost of the car including the cost of the ferry or the transport cost. If you buy through an auction the cost of the car includes any buyer's fee you pay. I used an import agent to arrange the customs declaration for me and he also collected the VAT on behalf of the revenue and I paid the VAT to the Import agent-not directly to revenue. I was then issued with the customs declaration so I could VRT it. I drove the car off the ferry in Dublin and was not stopped by customs. However, it is better to have the declaration on your phone or the ref no so you can prove you paid the VAT.

When you go to the VRT office you need to bring the car, the customs declaration, proof of ID, proof of address, proof of your RSI No and have the VRT form filled in correctly. You can opt for a ZV plate or a Year plate. If you go for a ZV you cannot change it to a year plate but you can go for a ZV after going for a year plate, if you change your mind later. For some daft reason, there is a disposal levy on the tyres on the car- €11 extra???? €2.75 per tyre I presume but they forgot the spare?

Taxing the car is done online with a ref no and pin you get from the just done that today. Tax as a classic rather than private!

As I was reg on the 30th of September I had to pay €11 arrears for September. They really go get every cent from you.

The next hurdle is the NCT test. Mine should pass as the car was MOTed in the UK in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,391 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

First I've heard of this. Usually I drive off the boat and no checks whatsoever and on I go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

is there any hold up getting a VRT appointment at the moment in Dublin ? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,391 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Great info Rory. What’s the deal with the VAT you paid in the UK buying the car? Do you get a refund of that because it is for export?

Cui bono?

Is there VAT on a secondhand car when sold to a private individual? I don't think there is. Open to correction

Wouldn’t be in that scenario but would be when bought from a dealer or at auction.

Cui bono?

Would you not have to be VAT registered to reclaim?

I’m hoping to find all that out.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 r65

Hi guys,

a question for those more knowledge about importing.

The "late registration" fine is set at .1% per day, I see.

Is this .1% of the €200 registration fee?

I have a classic car which was brought into the State back 17 years ago, but never imported and registered.

It is now 40 years of age, and obviously was in Ireland long before Brexit.

Am I right in saying that the late registration fee will be 20 Cent/day since date of import? (.1% of €200 equals 20 cent)

20 cent per day x 365 x 17 = €1241 late fee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Penalty on a vintage is capped at €200. I know loads of people who've done late registrations, including myself, and none of them were ever charged a late payment fee. One or two people say otherwise, but I suspect they're the type to make stuff up.

Advertisement