Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wetsuit or trisuit?

Options
  • 29-12-2021 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Well 2022 is the year I'm finally going to attempt a Sprint triathlon. My main question is whether to buy a wetsuit or a trisuit? Bearing in mind this may be it's only outing so don't want to spend too much.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Yermander

Fair play for setting a target next year. Most people start with wanting to just complete a sprint then get addicted!

You will need a wetsuit if you plan on doing an open water triathlon (sea, lake,river), which makes up about 95% of the Triathlon Ireland Calendar. It’s a requirement for entry. A trisuit worn underneath the wetsuit would be the preference for most as there is no change of gear required in transition.

For the pool based triathlons, these normally take place at the start of the season in April-May but with COVID restrictions, these may not go ahead. In this case, you could just get away with a trisuit.

A trisuit would be relatively inexpensive compared to a wetsuit, cheap options like Aldi or Decathlon would do the job.

For the wetsuit, there are entry level suits for novices, it’s best to get fitted for one in a multisport shop. You could probably get one cheaper online but you will be taking a risk with sizing and fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

Amazing advice!! Thank you! Makes sense and am aiming for an open water swim. Guess the wetsuit will be handy in general. I'm sorted for all the other gear but probably need better googles.

Any good starter ones or brands you'd recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Just remember that what ever you get to get a swimming one. There is flexibility built into the swimming ones around the shoulders that is absence from the surfing ones.

If you are going to look at being one and done then perhaps renting or borrowing one is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Buy the wetsuit. You will need for your open water swim training. Also you might use it for open water swimming (all the rage these days!).

You can get relatively cheap ones that'll do and as was said there is a good chance you will be biten by the bug. And if you don't plan on using it after you can always flog and get a few quid back.

Also join a club, triathlon clubs are phenomenally welcoming and supportive people who have as much time for beginners as well as experienced people.

There will be lots of little tips and tricks your clubmates will pass onto you that will make the day much more enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

Super advice! Thank you all!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Sorry to bomb the thread, I'm in a similar boat in that I plan to pop the triathlon cherry this year. I've been running now for well over a decade and a couple of years ago joined a cycling club which I really enjoy as a second sport. Last year I decided it was time to crack this swimming lark and set my sights on the Tri. Happily I am reasonably confident now (but a total slogger) in open water and pool and plan to make 2022 the year. I hope to sign up for a couple of sprints and then standard distance.

Any broader advice from the more experienced ones on here for a total noob (it's nice to be a noob at my age). I find the events calendar on Triathlon Ireland a bit mind boggling tbh so any advice on events that are particularly newbie friendly etc. when they book out etc.

The advice on joining a club is helpful.

[note to mods: if it would be more useful to split this off into a separate thread please feel free to do so]

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Buy a cheap surf type wetsuit, it may be slightly more restrictive than swim one but will last and be cheaper.

Then upgrade to more expensive more flexible swim wetsuit in future, if you get hooked on triathlon.

No real need for trisuit as you can wear t-shirt and shorts, trisuit would be quicker in transition though.

but almost all of us in race but wont be anywhere near front, a few seconds wont make a difference.

Go for it and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I don't do triathlons but did my first aqua bike last year, sprint, so in a similar kind of noob position to you. I did the race in Lough Cutra and it was very beginner friendly. A small field probably helped with that. Everything was well explained in advance, a nice Facebook online race brief outlining everything you needed to do a few days before, where to go, when, etc. There are MANY races going on during the weekend but each race has a different colour hat so when your race is being called you will see (or at least last year!) there was somebody walking around with the appropriate colour hat on a pole which made it easy. And the atmosphere was very friendly. It was all quite daunting walking up from the car with the bike, but once inside there were no issues and I am doing the standard race this year at the end of May (Must step up the training!). I am not part of a club, was doing it alone, and had no issues at all. It would be worth checking out if there are still spots available.

A word of warning though - the water is very very murky! Compared to other lakes and the see it is like swimming in coffee.

Ping me if you have any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MalDoc

+1 for Lough Cutra. Idyllic setting and a huge selection of events.

Athy is great as a first too. River swim so a lot easier to sight and swim straight than in a lake.

If you get into difficulty you can stand up in most spots as long as your not right in the middle.

Closed roads and it's a proper carnival for the weekend.

Distances offered below.

Try-Athy - 250m Swim, 20km bike and 4km run.

Sprint - 750m Swim, 20km bike and 5km run.

Olympic - 1500m Swim, 40km bike and 10km run.

Double Olympic - 3000m Swim, 80km bike and 20km run.

https://www.triathy.ie/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Bumping an old thread, I hope this is ok?

I'm looking for a wetsuit for a sprint triathlon, too. I'm used to swimming in the sea here year-round in just my normal swim suit, so I'm looking for the lightest wetsuit I can get away with, really. Would anyone know if this one here would be accepted, or if I do need one with full legs and sleeves?

https://www.wetsuitoutlet.ie/2022-helly-hansen-womens-15mm-swimming-shorty-wetsuit-34022-black-p-39627.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭randomname2005

It needs to cover torso. I thought it also needed to cover part of your legs but that might have been one race rule given temperature of water or something. So most likely okay from what I found in a quick search.

Advertisement