Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary teaching

Options
  • 24-12-2021 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi guys :)

I'm in my late 20s and am have been heavily weighing up my options over the past few months on changing careers (job contract is ending anyway in a few months) and moving back closer home. I did an English and History arts degree in college. I've worked in different areas since and most of them have been people orientated. I'm looking into Primary Teaching with Hibernian College - I have my Irish qualification but will need to start practising my Gaeilge again if I go ahead and apply for the college interview..

I'm just wondering, has anyone been in a similar situation as myself? Any tips or advise? I think I would enjoy teaching and I'm hoping to shadow a teacher in the new year as I have never really worked with kids before so defo want to get some experience/ shadowing done. I understand that COVID has made teaching a lot more challenging but it seems like such a rewarding job and tbh, most jobs have been affected by COVID to a certain capacity. Mine have anyway. Thanks so much!

Post edited by lauraisainmdom1 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

There's a Facebook page called Voice for Teachers, if you leave a post there you might get more responses.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

My sister also studied Arts and later qualified as a primary teacher through Hibernia College. From seeing her do it I know it's a lot of work and took a lot of commitment on her part. Not everyone she started with finished. She is working away but doesn't have a permanent contract. I believe that isn't unusual for newly qualified teachers. There is a teaching forum here on Boards. Good luck with it.

https://www.boards.ie/categories/teaching-lecturing

Advertisement