Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2013 golf Coolant leak

Options
  • 23-12-2021 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi I seem to have a leak somewhere in my 2013 golf. I got a light on the dash yesterday saying the coolant was low so I topped it up and the light is back today and the coolant is almost gone. I got sensors replaced in the car around 2 weeks ago, that hardly caused the leak? Any ideas on what to do next?

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

See if you can trace where the leak is coming from, a chance a stone hit the radiator too so have a look for any leakage signs there too.

Do you know if it's just leaking when you are driving the car or is it also leaking when car is sitting idle with engine off?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Barrett1234

Thanks for the reply. No I’m not sure I guess it is leaking all the time because I have only done around an hour of driving between filling the coolant and it being empty so I assume it is constantly leaking

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Fortunately with a coolant leak, unless it's something like head gasket or EGR cooler (cooler leaks onto exhaust and is burned off) then it will be easy enough to spot.

Wetness around drivers side engine bay where serpentine belt is, could be water pump, wetness around where top or bottom radiator hose meets engine could be thermostat (unsure if 2013 golf has thermostat mounted after top or bottom radiator hose).

Take car for a short spin untill it warms up, pull over, check under the bonnet. Leave engine running and you should see coolant pissing out of wherever there's a leak, as the system is under pressure, get someone to rev the engine while checking and it may be easier to spot.

It could be something as simple as a radiator hose if they have the tiniest split in them coolant will find its way out through that split due to the pressurised system.

Thanks for the reply I will do that and see if I can spot anything. Are these leaks serious? Or will a garage be able to patch it up? Excluding exceptions like mentioned above head gasket etc?

Most will be easily repairable and not too expensive, the danger is allowing coolant level to drop too low and cause overheating, once coolant level is kept topped up it will be okay untill it's repaired.

Another way to check is to take the undertray off the car, place a large piece of cardboard underneath the engine bay and check the following day to see if the cardboard has collected a wetness in one specific area, that's likely your coolant leak ,will only work if there's something like the water pump, thermostat or a split in a hose

• Advertisement

I rang a few garages, seem to mostly be closed until January 4th. You think the car is ok to drive as is if I keep the coolant topped up? Even tho it is leaking out?

It's safe, the coolant leak is not the danger, it's the loss of coolant due to the leak which will cause overheating. so unless it's pouring out then you can drive, just keep some coolant in the car at all times, you will have to be religious about checking the level after every drive once the car cools down as hot coolant that shows at the min mark will be lower when it's cooled down. I'd avoid going on long journeys also and don't use the car unless you absolutely need it.

I'm thinking it's not water pump as the car would be overheating in a short period of time from when engine is turned on.

My guess is either thermostat gasket, the thermostat housings gasket,or a split in a hose.

I once had a slow coolant leak which turned out to be a very slight rip in the top radiator hose right where it connects to the engine, but before the hose clamp, just cut the hose back before the rip, it was connected up and all was well again.

I would try looking under the bonnet while the engine is running, if it's any of what I've listed above it will be easy enough to spot

Ok great thank you. I will have a look under the bonnet and see if I can spot anything and only drive the car when I absolutely have to.

Update on this, brought the car to the garage today. The water pump is leaking.

Are you 100% sure? Do you know the water pumps have a weep hole? It is designed for "leak" very small amount coolant to "lubricate" the seal and protect the bearings. Many mechanics does not know that and blame 100% correctly working water pumps. Yes you can see some coloring around that hole and it is 100% normal. So keep us updated

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply. The job already is done now, I got a new timing belt along with it which the car was probably overdue anyway, so at least some good will come out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

It's very unlikely that it wasn't the water pump, dont mind yer man above.

Do not count the chickens before the autumn. Now we all wait the result, so place your bets.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Needles73

I think it’s also the water pump. The weep hole whilst designed to leak should leak virtually nothing noticeable and typically when pump fails it’s excessive flow from the weep hole that’s one of the symptoms. But let’s see……

Have the car back and is driving fine, new water pump along with the timing belt was changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

Out of curiosity what mileage has the car done ?

The interval for the tining belt is 210km. Water pump is always done with it. The water pump normally starts leaking before the timing belt interval.

Were you close to the 200k km ?

Yes, I’ve 188K KM on the car.

There is no magic timing belt what can last 210k, it is marketing trick. Similar marketing trick is lifetime gearbox oil and many other things. Yes that OEM timing belt can last 210k, but only if you drive every year minimum 40k. You should replace that belt already 2018-2019. Yes that magic timing belt have a timing factor. Now keep it on memory, after market parts does not last so many km.

VAG group removed the age limit on timing belt intervals on all their engines from 2011, otherwise known as 11 years ago. The revision was that all belts were now good for 210k kms with no ago limit.

I'm 6 years with VW now and i can honestly say i've not seen one break a belt. Not one. They are perfectly able for it. I'd have no concerns over one.

Would you ever take your fear mongering elsewhere. Harping on about it not being the water pump, as soon as it was confirmed you were wrong and it was the water pump you're changing the conversation to some other misleading shite. Hopefully nobody takes you seriously.

You can keep believing the marketing department, but they eat their promises before too. 210k is reachable only on special condition and that text had (may be) asterix and load of small text.

If you can not see the relation by topic, this is 100% your problem. I took your last part as offense, well hidden but it is what it is.

• Advertisement

I'm not believing the marketing department, i'm believing what i'm seeing with my own two eyes, thousands if not tens of thousands of cars over the years, not one with a broken belt. It doesn't happen.

210kms is only 130k miles, it's hardly unthinkable that a belt can last that long. Ford have been doing 100k mile no age limit belts since the 90's.

I intended it to be rude and i didn't try to cover it up. It is what it is. The advice you are giving is terribly out of line with reality and could end up leaving people badly out of pocket. Please consider stopping.

Advertisement