Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

Asian immigrant condemns Irish gay society in British press as systemically racist

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭ Hamachi

Thanks for the insider view, so to speak. What’s your rationale for suggesting that gay couples are more likely to be interracial? Is it because gay people are such a small minority (2%-3%), that they don’t have the luxury of being as discerning as say heterosexual women?

Re-reading the article, I see that he was also whining about members of the LGBT running group, of which he is a member. Apparently, they shunned him when they crossed paths in gay venues. Pradeep attributes this to them being ashamed to be seen interacting with non-white people in public. Reading between the lines, it’s likely that they simply see him as a head melt and didn’t want to be around him any more than is absolutely necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ berocca2016

I think gay people genuinely see race as less of an issue than the heteronormative population, hence more mixed race couples 💑.

• Advertisement

You are human.And have rights too you know. That's why they exist.

Maybe you should look up their.website and see.What they do 🙄

I think the gay community are more open minded then the general public, so maybe that's why there are more interracial couples (that's a big generalisation obviously)

Anecdotal evidence amongst my peers? God no need to be so narky about it.

The LGBT community is a minority who have been disenfranchised historically, thus would be less likely to disenfranchise a minority within a minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,922 ✭✭✭✭ ohnonotgmail

some people like short people, some like tall, some like chubby people, some like people of a different colour. such is the way of the world. if all you are interested in is sex then deal with it.

• Advertisement

I’m not being narky. I’m probing your argument to learn more. Call it intellectual curiosity.

So your hypothesis is that historically disenfranchised minorities are less likely to be discriminatory due to their own experiences, right?

Following that line of argument the travelling community and the Muslim population should feel a sense of solidarity with and display an attitude of egalitarianism towards the gay community. The common experience of being disenfranchised negates any tendency to discriminate?

Perhaps not..

Your argument is basically whataboutery....

Basically I don't think there is a particular problem with racism in the LGBT community, anecdotally I have no straight mates in mixed raced relationships, but a fair few gay mates who are. If you want to commission a longitudinal study to check this, you are more than welcome.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 11,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭ JupiterKid

Nailed it. 👍👍👍 This is exactly why such an initiative is both an insult and a waste of taxpayer’s hard earned money. I’d love to know how many “initiatives” by NGOs and, govt agencies and Quangos are providing solid results - and value for money.

That said, I do think Irish LGBT people are generally more open minded to mixed race relationships as being a minority that has also faced discrimination and oppression in the past as people of other races.

Thanks Jupiter, 100% agree on the motives of this NGO.

Like I said to that other poster, I’m not sure I totally buy into statement that LGBT people are more open to mixed race relationships. My job is a data scientist and I only tend to trust hard numbers. I’m not fully convinced by anecdotes about somebody’s ‘mates’. Having said that, I’m not plugged into the gay community and trust your instincts as an always thoughtful and rational poster. Cheers.

Advertisement