Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2021-22 Double and Blank GW Discussion

Options
  • 22-12-2021 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭

With GW22 looking like the first DGW of the season, it’s probably time to open the discussion around chip strategy etc.

for those that haven’t heard yet, we will have an extra FH chip (2 in total) this season. The 2nd one becomes active from GW20, and the only restriction is that they can’t be used in back to back GWs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

GW27 Blank for Liverpool and Arsenal as either will definitely make the League Cup final

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Not guaranteed. If both fail to make the FA Cup 5th round, the game could be moved to the midweek, keeping it in GW27.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The League Cup is just at semi stage with Spurs & Chelsea on the other side of draw, theres no guarantees of any team getting to the final yet. AFAIK the League Cup semis are two legged ties as well, not sure does that mean blanks though as they are usually mid week ties.

Anyway a few strategies based on what chips people have.

Arsenal are playing Liverpool in GW27. The Carabao Cup final is that weekend and one of those teams will be in it, hence the league game will need to be moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

We probably should assume that Leeds will blank in GW20 also.

• Advertisement

Three fixtures have now been announced.

Jan 11th Southampton v Brentford, Everton v Leicester

Jan 12th West Ham v Norwich.

Brentford, Everton and West Ham double. Southampton, Norwich and Leicester have one game and Newcastle have no game. Everyone else plays once.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Nothing too exciting there to justify a free hit for me

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Only West ham worth considering at Everton and Brentford are rubbish. One of West ham's games is palace as well which isn't an easy fixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

The gap between the games and FA cup being in between makes it tough. Covid and injuries could ruin your team

• Registered Users Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

When do we expect to hear about DGW fixtures for GW22?

• Advertisement

Only guessing but I would say towards the end of this week or very early next week which would then give fans a weeks notice to plan away trips. GW22 itself starts on a Friday night 14th Jan so the second fixtures of the double are likely for Tues/Wed 18/19th Jan. Liverpool have Brentford and need Leeds rescheduling so would imagine most will triple up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Yea it will be early next week, they're waiting to see if any matches in the FA cup will need to rearranged because of covid before releasing the dates.

I would doubt that Liverpool have a DGW22 now. They might need to fit in their cup games there.

Possibly Arsenal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Darksoul

Confirmation now that 1st leg of the Carabao Cup semi-final has been postponed; EFL have granted Liverpool’s request but Liverpool have now forfeited home advantage for second leg. First game at Anfield on Jan 13, return at The Emirates on Jan 20

I'll be using the free hit with that news as I've 10 players from Pool, City, Arsenal and West Ham. I'd only have Fernandez, Broja, DCL, Son and Rudiger with a potential double game week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Presumably these games now get added to GW22?

Tuesday 18 January

19:30 Burnley v Watford (BT Sport)

20:00 Brighton v Chelsea (BT Sport)

Wednesday 19 January

19:30 Leicester v Spurs (BT Sport)

20:00 Brentford v Man Utd (BT Sport)

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2440691?sf252618556=1

EDIT: Have checked and can confirm they have been added to GW22,

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Not exactly great given a lot of those teams aren't really performing lately. I already have Son, Reguilon and Maupay so I'll play them. I have 2 free transfers and need to get rid of Salah so I might bring in Maddison and Dennis. I only got rid of Dennis because I was on a wildcard and he was meant to be heading off to AFCON soon. Once that didn't happen I was gonna look at getting him back in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭shmeee

Kinda underwhelming DGW TBH. I've 3 DGWer is all Bachmann, Maupay and Rudiger... At first I was like use the extra FH, did a quick team there and I didn't like some of the DGWer's I put in. You've Liverpool at home to Brentford, who's players could easily outscore many of the DGW players. If Everton got their ass in gear, at home against Norwich likewise.....

At first taught, all you really want is maybe Spurs assets? If even.... Watford strikers then. As you said, many of the teams ain't showing any form, United and Leicester etc. After that you just don't know where to lean.

I will take a good look at it next week, it's still so far away and more covid / injury bullets to dodge.

At first look, there isn't really a team with a DGW that you would be eager to transfer in players for, let alone take hits for.

Everton are away to Norwich, they were decent going forward against Brighton, they're just a mess at the back.

• Advertisement

Not many hints around a DGW23 yet

So about that DGW25 & DGW26....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,594 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I know.......the two Free Hits are literally starting to melt in my pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭The Guru 123

Are they both guaranteed to be double gameweeks? Or is that still to be confirmed?

No guarantees but given the fixture backlog it is more likely than not. Spurs & Burnley now have 4 games to rearrange so I doubt the PL are going to miss opportunities to reschedule them. There is a few teams with 3 to rearrange as well. Re-scheduling is also tied in with what happens teams in the FA cup so I doubt there will be any announcements until the round is over next week.

The next round of TV selections are due today for the PL, so an announcement could be tied in with that.

Potentially good news for those holding Arsenal players, their blank in GW25 might get filled in and then they would have a DGW in 26. And it would mean Liverpool double in 26 too facing Arsenal and Norwich, sounds like Salah triple captain territory.

Man Utd & Brighton have a DGW 25.

Man Utd - Southampton (h) & Brighton (h)

Brighton - Watford (a) & Man Utd (a)

hmmm not sure if that is worth using a free hit on though I would like Bruno for it. Would need some other doubles to make it worthwhile using the FH. Wolves are a potential but they have Spurs and Arsenal which isnt very attractive either.

• Advertisement

Some talk that Liverpool will have a DGW 26. Norwich & Leeds.

The Leeds game will be the midweek before the League Cup final, so there could be some rotation for this GW, if it does get confirmed.

Advertisement