Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Safe Roof Access

• 22-12-2021 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭ tnegun

Following from my thread re some of the issues with my PV install do many here venture up on the roof often? I guess it's easier for those in a bungalow but I've a typical two-story house so would welcome any tips/tricks/advice for getting up there. I've a good ladder that extends past the roof line but need to get a stand off, proper tie on point and would only venture up there when its completely dry and wind free. Anything else that should be considered?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭ graememk

A good roofing ladder is invaluable for going on roofs, has wheels on one side and a hook on the other to go over the ridge.

Easy to do on a bungalow.. not so much on a 2+ stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭ bullit_dodger

Have no plans on going up on the roof - ever. Not afraid of heights or anything, but I can't see any reason for going there.

Unless your question was more that you were planning a self-install? Problem is getting off the ladder onto the roof, and vice versa off the roof onto the ladder. I was watching the lads who did my install and they had a good system with the ladders they had.

However, might be worth considering getting some scaffold and building a tower. Yeah, it'll take you an hour to build the scaffold (it's easy) but in terms of ease of access and the sense of more security it'll give you, money well spent I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭ tnegun

For now, it's more to inspect the installation and the repairs that have been made before I pay the final instalment. Then I guess the panels will need to be cleaned every couple of years? I've Velux on an extension and they get quite manky so assume would be the same with the panels? Also in future, I can add 2-3 more panels once 2 disused vents are removed from the roof and would definitely DIY that once I was happy I can get onto and off the roof safely I was considering renting a tower when attempting that however.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ buzz11

If you going to do a reasonable inspection then you need to look at the tiles under the panels and its really not a first or second timers place to be, you'd need to be used to moving around a roof and peering under the panels at various angles to get a decent look at each tile -- especially where the brackets are fitted.

Could you get a local roofer, builder even a window cleaner to go up and take a look? -- they'd have it done in no time and could take pictures for you (give them a decent torch for examining under the panels)

But given your concerns about broken tiles/patch repairs etc then inevitably you need a roofer to either OK it or condemn it.

Do you still have concerns over the electrical install?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭ monkeybutter

Failing off a bungalow is no fun Either

I converted a second hand ladder to a roof one with a kit, was way cheaper

They key to safe laddering is to get these legs which prop it up on the wall so it's secure and won't slip or fall, it's so much more secure, anyone who doesn't use them is mad

Then the roof ladder to get up on the roof and I have a harness and rope which I have anchored in the garden on one side and looped on the chimney if I was going to be going up and down

Reduced Chances of falling off to zero basically, lads roofing in the states use them all the time,a stumble or trip on a roof would be catastrophic and I know plenty who have fallen off roofs and ladders and have done some crazy dangerous things previous to the setup above

The harness may be overkill unless you are going to be up for a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭ tnegun

Thanks for the info, is this the sort of prop? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Davies-Universal-V-Shaped-Down-Stand/dp/B0098IOR4U/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=ladder+standoff&qid=1640635107&sprefix=ladder+stand%2Caps%2C88&sr=8-5 ? I've been looking at mine and think I may have a slightly safer/easier route via an extension roof but need to wait for some drier weather before I try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭ poker--addict

I have basically decided my DIY limit is the attic. Too many stories of accidents. I wouldn't be afraid of heights but I don't trust myself and I am not a regular up on a roof, so throwing panels around on top of unfamiliarity sounds high risk.

There is an opportunity for someone who is a regular on a roof to simple mount panels, then let the DIY'ers sort the rest out. My inbox is open!

Advertisement