Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to verify sale of property and being served notice of termination as a tenant?

• 22-12-2021 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭

So, tenant is occupying a residence.

Landlord serves notice of termination claiming intention to sell.

There's some kind of land registry where confirmation of sale can be authenticated thereafter?

I understand the time the landlord has is 9 months so would have to wait that out.

In physics we trust....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

Notice depends on how long one has been a tenant at said property.

Land registry, where a fee will enable current info of ownership

Property Price Register would enable you to see a recent sale that has taken place.

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

LL must intend to sell the property within 9 months. A sale can take months to go through so if it hasn’t been fully completed within the 9 months that doesn’t mean they’re not genuinely trying to sell. Certainly I wouldn’t expect all sales to be in the land registry in that amount time. I believe mine was finally registered about 12 months after we completed the sale. You could try the property register but that can also take months after the sale to appear.

Is the property listed for sale? Don’t know what the RTB would do if they’re in the process of selling but not completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Intention to sell does not equal sale complete. your landlord is entitled to sell his property and your not the sheriff. . it certainly is not your role to enforce the law.

its all a bit minority report here where your assuming the big bad landlord is going to break the law and finding him guilty in your eyes already. Are you just salty he has legally ended the tenancy? Do you actually have any objective evidence?

In the future if you did suspect he rented out the property rather than sell, you could drop a letter in the letterbox to the tenant letting them know what you(or your 'friend' paid in rent - that would be a practical measure you could take.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Landlording generally considered as bad form these days in public debate.

No surprise they would try to get out and less LLs generally regarded as a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭MacDanger

If the property appears on myhome or daft in the next couple of months, then it's reasonable to assume that the LL is intending to sell it. Other than the PPR, I'm not sure how you would actually verify that it has sold (although the a sign outside the property going from "For Sale" to "Sale Agreed" to "Sold" and then removed would be enough for me).

If it doesn't go up for sale, then you may want to consider opening a case with the RTB for wrongful termination of your lease. If proven, you would probably be offered back the property to lease and the LL may be liable for compensation of some sort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭CuriosityKilledtheCat

As far as I know the property is listed on the Property Price Register once the stamp duty has been paid. I think SD must be paid within 30 days of completion of sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭CuriosityKilledtheCat

Not having a pop at OP but this is why landlords are leaving the market - myself included. I have posted in another thread where I am in a very protracted sale of my house to the tenants in-situ.

Friend of mine legitimately gave notice to her tenants - after correctly serving a notice of rent review which still left their rent below market level. Property went on the market and was sold within a few weeks. Tenant still took a case to RTB claiming that the notice/review etc were not legitimate.

The tenant lost the case - in my opinion, they never had a leg to stand on and should have been told that from the beginning!! It still caused a few months of stress to my friend who is very glad to be out of the market now.

What happens if a sale doesn’t go through at the last minute? Would you intend taking a case against them OP for something that was out of their control?

There should legally be an option to serve notice “cos we don’t want to do this anymore” and then decide what they want to do (and when) with the property they own. It’s nobody else’s business as far as I’m concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

My real beef is being hustled to be honest.

It's a matter of principle.

My LL is also a real estate broker and my experience with real estate brokers is they're all crooked as a barrel of snakes.

i.e. they'd tell you anything, in fact the entire industry should be renamed, "real estate hustle", not brokerage.

So we'll see I guess, but yes if I have in actual fact been hustled I would absolutely be prepared to confront the issue legally.

In physics we trust....

Advertisement