Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

consultation fee's

Options
  • 17-12-2021 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

if they are any doctors here please weigh in

Me and my infant daughter will be going to lip tie and tongue tie release in the new year. At the moment i am seeing what we are covered for medically under my insurance. I have found that its 400 euro for the procedures, my insurance has informed me they cover it but not consultation fees as its outpatient.

the consultation fee, where as the doctor looks at our mouths and says 'yes thats a tongue/lip tie', is 250 euro, then the procedure with the co2 laser to release is only 150 euro. Is this some kind of con by doctors to get cash rather that go to insurers or what? it seems Ludacris, what if we went and didnt have a tongue or lip tie, would the hand be out for 500 euro or what? This has irked me, and its going to leave a bad taste in my mouth paying it, and not just the taste of my laser burnt tongue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I dont have experience of those sorts of fees myself, but my baby girl had a frenectomy with a dentist in Bray who runs a tongue tie clinic. The consultation fee was €100 and the procedure was done with scissors and cost €150.

Just in case that is of any use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Just to add my experience on this subject.

baby was referred to the hospital

waited a few weeks and nothing

rang outpatients they said they don’t do tongue tie anymore

gave me number of a private clinic

went to clinic was waiting for one hour to see the consultant

consultation lasted barely 10 minutes

basically told us nothing we didn’t already no and a procedure wasn’t necessary at the moment

tried to charge us €300 for consultation and €400 if an operation was needed.

told them no way was I paying that on the basis they were 1 hour late, we were referred by the GP to the hospital and then to them, he told us nothing we couldn’t have got from google or already knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭anndub

I very much doubt there are any consultants out there worried about whether their income is coming directly from the patient or from health insurance. Consultants fees typically range anywhere from 150 to 300 but I have noticed they have increased lately. @

thinkabourit You called a private clinic to see a private consultant and now you are outraged because your child doesn't need surgery but you are being charged private fees?

I think you are completely out of line. Pay for the service you accept sought out and voluntarily turned up for.

Advertisement