Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If I leave a position as a CO in An Garda Síochána

• 14-12-2021 6:32pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1

If I leave my current position as a Clerical Officer in An Garda Síochána for a position in Sea Fisheries Protection Authority am I making a mistake?

The Sea Fisheries Protection Authority seems to be a public job not a civil service job and I still do not understand the difference?

Will I still be able to apply for interdepartmental competitions for EO?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

If you leave the civil service you won't qualify for interdepartmental civil service jobs. You can apply on open competition.

Just be aware there is talk of Garda Staff coming under the direct remit of AGS rather than CS. If it happens you won't be able to avail of mobility within the CS. There is also a question over rights to join a union.

Are you making a mistake? Only you can answer that. I don't know how long you are Garda Staff. There is a tendency to get comfortable in a job and afraid of change. If it's a promotion then it's a better position and money. Sounds like an interesting department.

You might never get beyond CO where you are. Was chatting with someone today who was a CO 30 years in AGS.

You can always apply again for the Cs if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 cunla

Are you applying for a role in the head office in Clonakilty or one of the regional offices at the ports? The regional offices could be quite small with very few to no EO or higher posts so might want to check that if hoping to get promoted at the SFPA.

As it stands AGS is a better option in terms of civil service mobility and interdepartmental competitions but as SouthWesterly says that could be changing down the line.

Advertisement