Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Deere problem

• 12-12-2021 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

JD 3040 Tractor, had trouble getting it to stay in gears 3, 4, 7 and 8 but now the right hand lever is stuck in gear, thats the I II and R lever,

it can not be started we dont think now once on gear

any solution guy on those who know their JD's as he only got this few weeks ago

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I dont know anything about j deere but can you get underneath to where the linkage are for the gears and giggle them about a small bit ,

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Sounds like the gear linkages are worn. Not uncommon on a tractor of that age. As cute george says wiggle the linkages a bit, and while you are there check for wear.

Not an expensive job to replace them but well worth doing if the tractor is going sound

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭kincaid

thanks

1,2, 5 and 6 are perfect, its only 3,4, 7 8 that grind a little and dont go into gear.

the other long lever is stuck in gear so a bit wiggling underneath should sort it out then i hope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭hopeso

It sounds like the I, II and reverse lever is the problem. As you say, it's currently stuck, but from what you describe above, it's when this lever is in the II position that the other gears are grinding. I'd focus on that lever. Replace the cable, and check any joints for play. (I'm assuming it's cable operated)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Hopefully it's just the linkage between the levers and the "cross shafts", pull the side panel off the console in case something has fell down and jammed the linkages.

Worst case scenario is a selector fork has come lose on its shaft because a grub screw has loosened.

• Advertisement

its 3040 sg2 cab

i understand there could be wear in the linkages but other lever stuck in gear and wont budge and you cant start tractor one in gear, can u?

You can start the tractor as long as 1 2

3 4

is in neutral, both levers don't have to be in neutral.

If something has slipped or broken inside the box you could be in 2 gears at once, so starting might not be very clever.

Can you get 2 or 3 mates to rock the tractor backwards and forwards while you try and get her into neutral?

ok we give it a good rocking but still wont budge

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

What about putting it up on blocks to rock it. Don't start it though😮

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement