Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving SIRO provider

Options
  • 08-12-2021 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

I've finished my intro offer period so my price had jumped and I'm looking to renegotiate or move.

While in discussion with my current provider, I was told that if I cancel, they will remove all the wiring and disconnect me and that SIRO may refuse to reconnect us with a new provider.

This seems like a bit of scaremongering but wanted to check before I lodge a complaint. Is this true?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

No, its untrue. ONT wont be removed and other provider can do a transfer order. If they do it correctly it will be seamless and just involve you swapping the modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Absolute crap. What supplier told you that? Some do require notice even though you're changing supplier on SIRO. The one big switch deal is good, 30 per month for 500

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Siro has the little box on the wall and piggy backs the ESB supply to the house.

I am currently with Siro from Vodafone but contract has long expired and paying 45 pm for Gigabit 1000 (working fine and reasonable value I think)

I trust you are staying with the Siro set up but moving to another supplier ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭WhoElse

I just arranged an upgrade from Vodafone copper broadband (50MB) to 500MB SIRO fibre from them. If you sign up by phone, they read each a paragraph of the contract for your recorded agreement - included in that text was a statement that they retain ownership of the hardware installed, and reserve the right to reclaim it at end of contract. Does that mean if you change providers, you'd have to co-schedule removal by VF, and installation by the next company as close together as possible?

• No, the equipment in this case refers ONLY to the modem they supply. The exterior and interior equipment and wiring is NOT Vodafone’s (in fact it belongs to you as it was installed by a contractor working on behalf of vodafone) and they can’t come in and rip it of the wall because you switch. They can (and do) demand the modem back and may charge you if you refuse or fail to return it.

• Advertisement

• And for anyone else worried - this is obviously just a new heap of bollocks ISPs are spouting to try and retain customers. Playing on the ignorance of most consumers as SIRO is a relatively new thing unlike Eirs old copper lines, just imagine if someone told you they’d be ripping their phone line out, you’d laugh at them..

same kinda rubbish being spouted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

If (and a very impossible IF) they wanted to remove the SIRO box, you'd have KN networks call to remove it and same guys then call to put the sane box back on wall for new provider.

Hence no

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭WhoElse

Thank you both!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Utter nonsense. You need to supply your account number to the new operator to move. If you cancel and place a "New Connection" order with another operator it'll be an "in-situ" order which means, if the ONT is online and connected, you'll be electronicially activated. Which is handy.

Advertisement