Advertisement
Boards are fundraising to help the people of Ukraine via the Red Cross at this horrific time. Please donate and share if you can, you will find the link here. Many thanks.

Dreamcast ODE - Which is the one to go for?

• 03-12-2021 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ Lion Killer

Hello all,

In recent years, it seems like there has been several optical drive emulators released for the Dreamcast. I have not kept up with the scene since the days of burning CDs. 😂

Just wondering if anyone has one of the ODEs here? What has your experience been around compatibility and the like? Any one in particular you would recommend?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 13,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭ sugarman

Been using a cheap chinese GDEMU clone for years no bother as have a few others on here. Cant really for wrong for €40 or there abouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭ Colonel Panic

I went with a MODE, in part because the DC I put it in wouldn't support GDEmus and because I can't be bothered with the rigmarole required to prep the SD card for GDEmu.

I considered a DC USB too, but the ordering process annoyed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭ McDermotX

Aye.....nothing wrong as such with a GDEMU clone, think there's a handful of titles that have an issue, but it is a bit of a pain to work with from a file storage perspective, and has a number of limitations.

The Mode offers a far more user friendly implementation, better compatibility across the console variants, better storage options, better file support, advanced features etc.....BUT, you do have to pay for that, and significantly more than a GDEMU clone.

Personally I'd very much recommend the Mode if going down that route as long as your eyes are wide open to the cost. Must run about 200 euro shipped nowadays, and then whatever the duty/handling is on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭ DaveyDave

I got a GDEMU clone off Amazon for around €50. One or two titles that I've tested haven't worked properly (need to try different regions to see if they work) but for the cost I can't go wrong. Personally I can't justify spending €250+ on something just to save me swapping discs. Only real inconvenience is burning CDs and using a boot disc if I want to try a new game before buying but that's rare.

Ridiculously easy installation too.

Advertisement