Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a house County Waterford

• 02-12-2021 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭

Hi all I put this in the County forum but had no response any advice appreciated

Broad strokes at the moment but My Nephew is coming back to live in Ireland, family is in New Ross and his company based in Cork. He might have to go into the office once a week possibly less so looking to buy a house anywhere between Tramore and Dungarvan.

He’s single and has a budget of €250k to 300k be grateful for any recommendations to buy or places to avoid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Iwastimthe

Stradbally is a nice village, quiet enough but on the coast with a nice beach. Halfway between Tramore and Dungarvan.

I can't post a link because i don't have enough posts but look at up daft and 24 The Comeraghs in Stradbally. €289k. 3 bed bungalow.

Edit - i Can post links now.

Post edited by Iwastimthe on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i believe prices have rocketed in the county, have they leveled in anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭Junior

First thing to check is your broadband scenario in regards to any house if he's remote working. Stradbally wouldn't have a great infrastructure that way. Depending on what he's thinking, you could look at some where like Abbeyside, close to Dungarvan, and the ameneties (Shops etc) and would have a lot going for it with regards activites for someone.

I'd say the best thing to do would be google maps and start throwing in a few places and checking the commute times. And then start looking for properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

The bad news is that prices in Co.Waterford have risen significantly in the last two years, particularly in coastal locations, albeit from a low base. The good news is that those locations are probably getting more people like your nephew moving to them as a result of more remote working opportunities.

I don't think there are any areas to avoid, but as another poster said the access to broadband and services will obviously be of huge importance. Is your nephew hoping to live in a town or village, or close to one? There's probably a primary school in proximity to most rural parishes - but maybe not a secondary school so that's probably something to consider too.

You've heard a couple of coastal suggestions which I'd agree with. An alternative might be somewhere slightly more inland like Kilmacthomas. Bypassed but very close to the N25. Has a secondary school, a tourist railway, the greenway...and also a few employers like Flavahan's and the new distillery.

Advertisement