Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Civil Service Probation

• 19-11-2021 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭ niallmacsuain

Hey folks,

Hoping someone can clarify this for me. I was a CO from November to May of this year. During that time I was also in the Open EO competition and was assigned to a department in May.

I finished as a CO in my old department on Friday, May 21st and started in the new one as an EO on the 24th.

I have some worries about my upcoming 6-month probation and whether I'll be passed. My manager previously advised that if I failed I would be demoted back to being a CO in my previous department, however, someone recently pointed out that this might not be the case as I got my position as an EO through the open competition.

Can anyone clarify? Would I just be let go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭ Riskymove

You should have signed a contract/letter of offer in your new Department which would set that out.

It is my understanding you would revert to CO

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ Kirbi

You should definitely check out your contract as Riskymove says, but I think being let go would be a possibility in your case. The reason is that (unless I'm taking you up wrong on the timing), you have not successfully completed a year-long 'Hire Probation' within the civil service.

I believe that you could probably revert to CO if you'd completed the CO probation regardless of the nature of the promotion reason used (i.e. Open, Interdepartmental, Internal). If you did not complete the original CO probation, then you have not been confirmed as a civil servant.

Advertisement