Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks - Croke Pk Sept 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Is there?

on search oi can get singles but nothing for 2+

everyone had a chance, but I’m shocked he’s come even close to this again

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

They'll challenge the granting of the licences by the City Council in the High Court for reasons of 'excess development', and I can tell you they have a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

All about perspective I guess. I've been in every corner and level of croke park at this stage and the only place where the view wasnt great from was the far corner of the hill but that wont be open for the gig.

Any other time I've had a grand view of everything, gig or match. I'm there to enjoy myself, not worry about a view. So yeah, I dont think there will be a bad view at this gig. I've got tickets for the Davin stand and really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭hynesie08

What excess development? Setup and breakdown is the same whether you have 1 gig or 100.

He said there is no legal mechanism for residents to take any further action

The residents don't seem to agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

I think that the residents have been fully consulted with this time and as such have given their consent for it to go ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

This game is over and whoever representing Croke Park played a blinder... the whole idea was very well marketed....the residents are not too bothered as there was a fuss in the media a few weeks ago, then nothing for about a Month and then license granted...

I also expect the president is set going forward... someone here said if there was an action it be against Council... it may work but I doubt it...

Well done to all concerned as i did not think that he was that popular... sell 240,000 x €80 takes a bit of doin...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭endainoz

Ha, best of luck to them challenging Aiken in the high court. I fully expect a condacending interview from that fella that represents them and that will be about as far as it will go. The majority of the residents will not be bothered and some will use it as a commercial opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Anytime I've been to a gig in Croke Park, I've just got the Luas to the top of O'Connell Street and walked to the rest of the way as I'm (arguably) fit and able.

However I'm bringing my Mam to this and want to get her as close to the stadium as possible with as little walking as possible. What are my best options? Drop them in myself, find parking wherever I can and meet up with them inside once I've parked? What would be the best bet in terms of picking them up afterwards? I'm happy to leave a few songs early to get the car and be parked nearby, but no idea what roads will be closed. We're in lower Hogan stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Drumcondra train station is 500m walk away. You won't be able to park any closer than that anyway with road closures, so I'd just park at Navan Road Parkway station (1min from M50), get the train a few stops, then 5min walk to the Hogan.

You'll have minimal traffic then when you get back, compared with being stuck in traffic for a while around Croker if you park near there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

Logged in now and ended up with two tickets for the first Saturday night beside each other....result

• Registered Users Posts: 37,799 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wonder will we see a reissue of his 1997 Croke Park DVD for Xmas

Physical media may be still alive for a portion of Garths target audience

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Will there be a street rep that has a loony tunes ringtone?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭McGarnigle2020

Serious question. Is Garth Brooks an absolute living legend in parts of this country?

Or is this a bit like how when we qualify for a football tournament you will have European stadia filled with lads in leprachan hats who didn't watch a single qualifying match until we reached the play offs? Just a bit of a junket?

I find the fact he is the biggest selling solo artist of all time in the US to be absolutely staggering.

If asked to name that figure, my guesses would be, in this order, Elvis, Michael Jackson, Springsteen, Eminem, if I started running out by now I would have plugged for maybe Whitney Houston, Madonna, Britney or Beyonce.

I'm quite baffled as to how an artist who, I presume, has little appeal beyond the working class white population of the southern states has sold more albums than artists with country wide, multi ethnic appeal. Michael Jackson being probably the most obvious candidate, given his mainstream career long pre dated Brooks.

I've seldom if ever seen Brooks referenced in mainstream US culture. No cameo in films. No guest voice spot on the Simpsons. No poorly imitated caricature on South Park. Nothing.

His fans must buy a **** shytton of records.

Post edited by McGarnigle2020 on

To add to that- I'd have no intention of attending but I am delighted the residents weren't listened to. Anyone who buys a house next door to Europe's fifth biggest stadium and wants to have a cry about noise, crowds, and events in general, a full near on 60 years after stadium tours became a thing, should be ignored and laughed at.

I do not think there has been any houses built around there in the last 50 years... i think the mistake is gaa should have moved with the times and built new stadium... it has no personal effect on me either as i not a fan of Garth... The residents made a "gentlemans agreement" with developers... its hard to feel sorry for fools...

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭villa2008

What's the appeal here, I don't get it, what's so great about Garth Brooks? I love music and gigs myself, but I just don't get why so much love for this guy in this country. Croke Park for 5 nights???

Residents starting to kick up again also.

hype marketing for me... Sheerin, Westlife etc can fill Croke... this tells me a lot....

• Registered Users Posts: 35,682 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Don't get it, the country must be full of rednecks lol .

Who the hell goes to see a wannabe cowboy sing .?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,682 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

5 nights.................. must have been part of his contract, to do any extra nights that sell. Michael Jackson was to do one concert in the 02 Arena in London, and agreed in contract to do any extra nights also, millions of tickets sold, so he had to do 6 months of concerts, but then he died, so never happened. Only MJ could sell out 6 months , so Brooks with his 5 nights is long way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Do people not remember line dancing sweeping this island??

Go stick on The Thunder Rolls and you'll have a clue as to how this legend has sold out 5 nights.

When they see all the sell outs tickets will be over the 100 euro..

Anyway to make a quick buck

legend me arse. Ask your average music fan to name two songs of his? Big country music star yes, legend no.

He looked like a farmer on the way to the mart the other day in croke park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Jizique

Difference between a handful of matches of Sunday afternoon and a series of concerts with people milling around at nighttime and drinking and passing and worse - let's hold the gigs in a field in Foxrock, Leopardstown race course perhaps, see how many are approved.

Inner city is bad enough without inflicting 5 nights of this **** on them

Clonliffe and Croke Park Residents groups have come out and said 5 dates is unacceptable. Plenty more water to pass under the bridge in this again.

It absolutely beggars belief that Brooks' people and Aikens and the GAA could be so absolutely and utterly bloody stupid as to not deal with the local community issue first. Again!!

Don't loose your online receipts yet folks, refunds may be needed.

Again- stadium touring has been a thing since at least the sixties. I don't care what agreement they did or did not have with the authorities, they are living beside the 5th biggest stadium in Europe.

What if, unlikely as it is, Ireland and the UK win the 2030 world cup bid and Croke Pk is a venue? These crying wasters get an international podium to have a cry about four or five match days added?

Does this nonsense happen in any other country, or do grown ups abroad expect that if you live beside a big stadium you can expect crowds and noise on the regular.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

My tickets are tightly held....

The guy quoted in the Rte article even admits theres no legal mechanism for the residents to challenge. The extra licences have been granted. It's done homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

This thread went downhill quick

• Advertisement

Yes it happens in other Countries. I know from family in London that the big footballs clubs must have community engagement plans in place which put limits on fixtures, noise, light, crowd movement windows, access and so on. And those are very much respected.

Your analogy is false anyway, when it comes to field games, the reason there are many stadiums in a tournament is not just the fixture congestion, its the recovery time of the playing surface. If Croke Park was a World Cup venue for some reason, it might host 2 matches in 10 days and those would be nowhere near as late as concert hours either.

5 nights in a row wasn't on in 2014. Five nights in 10 days is not really much of a difference and someone is going to challenge it, I'm certain.

Advertisement