Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks - Croke Pk Sept 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Your right this nonsense does not happen in other countries... The planners erred in allowing a "gentlemans agreement" be part of a planning decision...

I think if we win the bid matches be in Aviva unless we get the final which is unlikely...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭endainoz

Plenty of moaners on this thread too, just get over the fact that country music is popular in Ireland for God sake. Brooks was gigantic in the early 90s and Ireland has a long relationship with country music.

This is nothing new, Gene Autry attracted a crowd of 100,000 people in Dublin in 1939, literally just to see him parade down the street on a horse. Country has its roots in European folk, and black Delta blues from the earlier 20th century.

Brooks gigs in Dublin from 1997 are fondly remembered by many, including non country fans. Certain events are remembered for different reasons and take on an almost mythical status. Not a fan? That's grand, but just because you don't get it dosent mean your right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Except they did deal with the local community, meetings were held, concerns were heard, licences were applied for, a few objections were lodged and permission was granted. Aiken have followed the rules to the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Coming from Greystones. I know the DART would be ideal and coming in would be fine given every second train starts here (so guaranteed seats), but don't want to put her through potentially having to stand the whole way back given how jammed it will be, she wouldnt be able for it. I'm happy to do any amount of driving and being stuck in traffic won't be a big deal as long as they're comfortable, I'm just a bit clueless as to what my plan should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Lol. People that have no interest or liking for a singer all posting on a thread for that singers concert. I just dont get it. Why waste all that energy on something you dislike.

• Advertisement

Thats what a forum is for... compare notes etc... i am really only interested in the politics of what is going on... have no real opinion on said Garth...

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ashleec4

Hi all, congrats on everyone getting tickets 😄 have tickets for lower hogan 336 trying to figure out if it will be very close or behind the stage? Anyone have any experience??

thanks 😊

Could start a thread in CA or politics for that. Not sure the fans want to talk about whatever it is you do.

Not talking about you specifically but going into concert thread to just complain about the singer is like going into one of the many sports teams threads just to say you don't like the team. I dont understand that mentality.

You're right down in the corner so potentially behind the stage. Your view will depend on what row you're in and how far back it is. Further back the better for that section so you can get a bit of a view from a height

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

What are you on about? Build a new stadium? Why? It's something like the 5th biggest stadium in Europe, totally redeveloped not so long ago and let's not even talk about the history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭MOR316

Must admit, I don't get the obsession people have for Garth Brooks...

The Beatles, I get it! Michael Jackson, I get it! But, big GB? Nah, can't understand it.

Having said that, I hope anyone going has the time of their lives! 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

He is mistaken. There is no role for An Bord Pleanála in appealing a Council grant of an event licence, but the High Court could easily be asked to carry out a judicial review and injunct the concerts.

Don't take my word for it, I notice Paddy Power are now offering 6/4 that the 5 will be cancelled again and they're no fools.

Anyway, don't hold onto them too tight, you may need to submit them for a refund yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Zogabomb

Head of the resident's commitee was on radio this morning and said they have no legal basis to challenge the gigs as the licence has been approved. He said they may have to just move out of their houses. These gigs are happening and nothing the residents can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

A) They are not offering that price on all concerts being cancelled. They are offering it on 4 or less taking place. There are other things at play that could see them not going ahead. An ongoing global pandemic being one.

B) They went odds-on on about 5 people to be the next Man Utd manager over the last 5 days, none of whom are getting the job. Their prices on "special" or novelty markets often need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Hey, they might be cancelled. Doesn't really bother me as i'm not going but it would disappoint a lot of people. You seem to really want it to happen for some reason though. I'd personally be very surprised if they were (for any reason other than the pandemic, illness etc) as i'd be amazed if all parties involved weren't 101% sure that there was no legal basis for any challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

PP create markets to depart punters from their cash, that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I love all the amateur planning officials on here with their own take on the residents/city council decisions...

Just leave people enjoy the fcuking event ffs ......

If you dont like his music, just dont post , instead of using "the 5 will be cancelled" as a way of bringing gloom down on the people that enjoy his music and are looking forward to the gig(s)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Is this guy still on boards. He's the biggest troll on the website. Hasn't a clue. The 5 nights has already been granted by council

I agree with you its done... not sure what is meant by troll... is it someone who is unique and has to an opinion of their own with the courage to say so...

The residents around Croke park have clearly being conned by Council and gaa....

I am talking about what alot of people here are talking about... its a fine stadium rebuilt in the wrong place... it cant be moved so it will be there for next 100 years... that is the culture of us as a people... we can see 100 years back but cannot see forward 10 years...

Another example of that is the crash and housing now....

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Got 2 tickets at 5 pm yesterday. I was a kid when the 1994 line dancing craze happened. I'm really into country music and americana anyway. Garth is 100% about nostalgia for me as there's way better country music singers - most of whom are long since dead or in their 80s+ and wouldnt come here anyway - but no one matches GB for the nostalgia train. Maybe that's it? I dont understand why he's so popular here but I'm just happy to get tickets.

A good point, maybe you should listen to your own advice. Because all your doing is making vague points while not really saying anything at all. You seem to be terribly concerned about residents being "conned" yet yesterday you had no sympathy for "fools".

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

Is he popular? my wife wanted to go but in the 20 odd years I have known the women she has never put a song of his on. Full access to spotify so no need to buy cd's etc. Not that she ever had a GB cd before. I think it is more the occasion and hopefully lockdown gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

AFAIK Brooks isn't on Spotify. So you'd never hear her play his stuff there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

I have no sympathy for them... if i was living there i would be very unhappy... there is nothing vague in what i am saying... it all happened...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Garth Brooks is not on Spotify but Brooks jefferson is 😉

Brooks selling out has nothing to do with covid or lockdowns. He sold out before all that for the same 5 gigs.

The Thunder Rolls live is worth 80e alone. Also great to see him not milking people like some other big names with price tags of 250e plus being the norm.

• Advertisement

That's a bit of an exaggeration on the price there. Some sort of fancy gold circle price maybe but totally agree the prices for this were quite reasonable.

Advertisement