Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Online Safety and Media Regulation Bill

Options
  • 16-11-2021 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

By her own post this seems unnecessary.

The report show a list of things that potential might happen you online such as "Had people threaten or say they were going to hurt me" 97% of people said that this NEVER happened to them online.

"I was contacted by strangers or someone I don't know" happened regularly for 15% of the respondents. This is the highest incidence rate, and remember not all contacts are unwarranted or have any negative impacts and even this this is quite low.

The second image from the report that she tweeted was based on the small percentage who said yes. (Will need to read the report to see how many said say yes and to what). But again even here we have tiny numbers. 28% of children say they have had contact online with someone they have never met... this may be very negative or it could be simply playing a game online with another child , but at 28% this is the highest level in the report.

Just 20% say they have seen hateful messages toward certain groups, 6% of parents.

This seems completely out of kilter with her tweet. Again I have not read the full report, but based on those 2 surveys a very low % of people seem to have "problems" online.

Parents should try to be more aware of their child's online activity IMO. I know not always possible but the same goes for IRL.

Comments

• over 1/4 of the kids asked have had strangers contact them online, but that's no big deal?

28% of kids asked.. **kids asked**. how many who haven't been asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

You would assume that statistically they asked 1000 children and 28% of them had strangers contact them online, they children taking the survey would be across demographics. Once you get to 1000 you get to an average, you can't ask all children this is a snapshot like any survey.

I am not saying it is not bad, but as I said how many said yes to the previous question (meaning 28% is likely to be lower in this report)

Advertisement