Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TFI Fare Revisions from 28th November 2022 Including New 90 Minute Fare.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

Thanks everyone, thats some deal, wont be paying 5 euro car park now 😎

I try avoid the bus if possible, living where i do in Blanch its bus or nothing and its been a soar point for YEARS (it might turn up, then a hour or so journey)

I will be going into town this way from now on, 5 minutes in a car, park for free, then two Dart or walk about 5 minutes and stuck on a stuffy bus for a hour (or more)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Not quite as there are no buses serving M3 Parkway, so that isn’t an option!

Just to note that the 90 minute fare applies only to Dublin City bus services, and not those of Bus Éireann.

But you could change to a 45a, 84, 84a, 155, 184 or 185 at Bray Station with no fare penalty as long as your bus journey starts within 90 minutes of your tagging on at M3 Parkway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

I think they missed a trick not introducing Day Travelcards for IE and BE journeys into Dublin like in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Does anyone know if NTA plan to further consolidate fares in Dublin? Specifically, can we expect a move to a single annual fare irrespective of mode of transport in time for next year to mirror the single €2 fare structure?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Taxsaver is basically redundant for many now if they don't - single mode, higher rate tax payers who don't WFH and just get the barest level or holidays may still find it saves a little.

Won't be renewing mine, €4 a day two/three days a week (I always had to drive occasionally, now with a different job it's partial WFH), ~45 weeks a year is 548 in a worst case scenario, when a rail/bus taxsaver is over 700 even after tax.

Any further tax cut for middle income workers as promised by the current Government will make taxsaver even less appealing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I wonder would it not be simply better to scrap the taxsaver system completely and instead direct the funding it receives towards subsidising keeping the 90 minute fare at €2.

I think the €2 90 minute fare is so much simpler and much more fair as it applies to everyone and not just high tax payers. You'd also save on all the admin costs involved with the taxsaver.

Where my above idea falls down would be folks travelling from outside the Dublin Short hop zone. But I'd love to see the NTA do an analysis of keeping the taxsaver scheme going, versus scrapping it, saving on the admin costs and simply applying the savings to all public transport tickets. I could be totally wrong, but with the savings on admin costs, it might not be all that far off.

The taxsaver scheme is quiet unique, I can't think of any other country with a scheme like that. Sure monthy/yearly tickets, but not the tax side of it. I think trying to implement a scheme like this in many European countries would actually lead to riots!

I also think the entire taxsaver scheme goes very much against the direction that the NTA has been moving with Leap ticketing. With Leap ticketing, they have aimed with simplicity, just use the leap card and you will always get the lowest fare, €2, daily or weekly capping, all done automatically. No need to think about it or plan ahead, it is very freeing.

The taxsaver scheme on the other hand forces you to break out a fecking spreadsheet to work out if it will actually save you money or not! Never mind the rigmarole you then have to go through with your HR department to get it set up. And it is completely incompatible with the world of hybrid working.

Might it not be better to scrap it and just make public transport cheaper for everyone, all the time?

First time I've had an "off topic" post deleted

It was follow up on what I was talking about here

Lesson learned as ever with boards

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its also very Sam Vimes Boots Theory - it allows those with more money to get public transit for (in the past, significantly) less than those with less money.

It also distorts the real subsidy to public transport by hiding some of it. Should just redirect all to normal funding.

Im back again (the bray air show day out didnt dampen my enthusiasm or maybe more stupidity)

Im giving up on the Car-M3 Parkway idea as its adding another hourly service and HAVE to go back as car is there (if goes wrong just bus it home), so going 38/A to Navan Road Parkway and then train/s

Whats the upper limits of North/South side traveling on the 90 minute fare and has anyone any recommedations of what to do (dont want to go the usual places and might get PTSD if i go back to Bray so soon)

I got a rambler card many years ago and did from Greystones-Balbriggan with a few stop offs and was an interesting day and looking to do a very mini repeat of this

Thanks!!!

• Advertisement

The 90 minute zone covers Zones 1 to 4 on the short hop zones. Basically from Rush & Lusk in the North to Bray in the south.

Also any Dublin Bus, Go Ahead City Bus or Luas.

Also keep in mind if you are making a day of it and hoping on and off different services throughout the day, then you will also benefit from the daily capping on the Leap card.

Daily capping is €8 if you are using both bus and dart and it covers all dart stops including Greystones if you want to go that far.

Don’t worry about how that works, just use your leap card, it will just charge you the cheapest fare. If you take just 3 x 90 minute trips, then you will be charged €6, but if you take 4 or more, you will only be charged the maximum fare of €8

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Slight correction - the 90 minute transfer does apply in the whole Short Hop zone on the Dart, there's a fare supplement for zones 5 and 6 so you can go as far as Greystones and Balbriggan, you'll just a pay a bit extra (though if you tag off the Dart in Bray and then tag back on to go to Greystones, it will only cost €2).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Sounds like you are in the same area as me (38/38a Mulhuddart).

Re your looking for ideas on what to do (and the mods may move this to a more suitable forum as its not directly related to commuting/fares etc).

One I regularly do in summer is walk to Clonsilla station, then walk to Maynooth along royal canal, then train straight back to Castleknock and 38 home from outside (€2 fare obviously). It's a long walk (17K) though. But can reverse at Leixlip station instead if feeling tired.

Also getting to Howth is easily manageable within the 90 mins by bus and train changing at Connolly. Howth lovely in thsse months, cliff walk etc.

Realistically there is nowhere in the zones 1-4 that you can't get to within the 90 minutes (given that you only have to tag-on within the 90) so use your imagination I guess.

Cheers everyone for the info and the ideas, the 8 euro cap is a good Safetynet knowing that no matter how much you use or if you are delayed and missed the window then the worse it can get is 8

@ArmaniJeanss im just up the road in Corduff, some great ideas but unfortnaly the GF has Lymphoma in the legs so rules out walking unless HAVE to. I have cycled from here to Maynooth along the canal and it is nice (say even nicer knowing you are on the train back and can relax and take it in)

I wont go off topic anymore, thanks again for info and ideas 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Had to finally top up the leap card today (thank you young adult fare 😂) and noticed they've added a handy timer showing how long your "TFI 90" fare is valid for:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Was this on Android or iOS? I checked it on iOS today and couldn't find the timer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭p_haugh

On android. The app was only updated on the 19th, so most likely coming soon to the iOS app.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Android here as well and no update to the app since June in the play store.

Would be handy to be able to see this.

Tagged on this morning and just shows my balance

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

How come I'm charged 3 euro on the leap when all of these journeys are begun within 90 minutes of each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Was it within the 2 Euro zone? What was the starting and the end points?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

Would your last journey have ended in Skerries, Greystones, or Sallins? They are outside of the 90 minute zone, but are in Zone 5, which is a €3 fare.

Starting point: Adamstown train station. End point: Skerries train station.

Skerries is not within a TFI 90 minute boundaries. This explains why have you been charged over 2 Euro.

Ah, OK. Maybe I can get off at Rush in future, if I want to make that one euro saving...

I would add a map here, but the ones I see when I search TFI 90 minute fare are in a poor quality. I think I read Rush & Lusk station is where the boundary ends (to save 1 Euro).

Edit: I davetherave added a map. That's great!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

90 minute transfer still applies if you get on/off in zone 5 but it's €3 fare rather than €2 (Train only - the bus to Greystones is still only €2 if you're keen to save a euro).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Polar101

Finally got the 90 minute ticket banner in my version of the Leap Top-up app. Latest update seems to be from Jan 19th (on Android), but I hadn't seen it before.

Much handier now that I won't have to look at the transactions and add 90 minutes myself.

Another question about the Leap Card:-

I add 5 euros of credit to my card, which takes my total balance to over 8 euro. Sorted for the coming day, as the cap is, as I read, 8 euro. I take trains from Rush and Lusk to Kilcock in the morning, which is 3.90 on the leap. Later (having used no public transport in between), I take trains back from Sallins to Pearse (which I think was also 3.90) in order to get a connecting train to Rush and Lusk. I walk off platform 2 at Pearse, through the validator, go around to platform 1 and put the leap card to the validator only to get X sound repeatedly. The question is why I'm getting the X when A) I'm within the 90 minute fare and should be able to tag on and off within the leap zone as much as I like for that duration, and B) can't go over 8 Euro even if I were outside the 90 minutes. What am I missing or doing wrong, there? I had to just walk in behind someone going through the validator in order to catch my train.

P.S. the bus from Rush and Lusk was only 20 cent, indicating that the cap was indeed applicable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Sallins/Naas is in the TFI 90 zone but it’s €3 instead of €2.

Cost me €3 to go from Naas to Bray the other day. Fantastic value.

Advertisement