Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Airtight

• 13-11-2021 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

living In a new build timber frame and I’ve noticed that it’s very draughty where the window board meets the frames. I can see that they used airtightness tape around the window and underneath window board.

is it normal for this area to be draughty In modern houses or is it badly installed tape?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Was it a once off house or part of a development? Not sure if it's still the case but at one time you only had to do the airtight test on a selection of House's in an estate, not them all. I'd love to see a study on them now and the difference in the ones tested and not tested.

I wonder if yours is part of an estate or larger development would it be one of the houses which wasn't tested and could have poor airtightness and sloppy or more relaxed quality control.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

Could of used the wrong tape or may not of extended the cavity. They may not of used primer or glue. I would pull off a window board and see what is the detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

No. There should be no draught, bar a bit of cold air from the glass if double glazed. I am surprised that you can see the tape. Applying the tape takes a lot of care and doing it half heartedly could create gaps especially on corners or near the bars they use to attach windows. https://www.prodomo.ie/2020/02/19/window-taping-mistakes-you-should-prevent/ As P2C says, the only way to know is expose the detail. However a good thermal camera on a very cold day might give you a clue how widespread the problem is

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Dangee4050

It’s part of a development, actually it’s the last house on the site to be built. I can actually see the tape around all the windows it’s untidy looking. Although it’s only slightly exposed.

if I pull off the window board will It damage the reveals?

what’s the point of all this airtightness craic if they can’t do it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Dangee4050

would it be a big job to take off the tape and redo it?

• Advertisement

It possibly might not be so big a job but some builders will be afraid to take on such a job as it is so unpredictable. I did this exact job on my own place, block built, and I needed a plasterer to fix the damage. It took some learning to get it right. Made a big difference.

The window boards will have attachments. Maybe screws you need to find them. Don't rip it off. Protect it loads with tape to preserve its paintwork.

I totally agree that this job should be done right first. Second time round the job is harder.

BTW if you end up taking down the reveals on each side of the window, replace them with plasterboard with PIR at the back

Advertisement