Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Accountants of Ireland

• 12-11-2021 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2 asdfgh123

Hi Everyone,

I have recently started an Accounting course and have some questions. Before starting the course I assumed it was a normal 9-5 type job so I had just been looking at the type of work that accountants do and thought it looked ok. However I have since heard some horror stories about people having to work 55 and 60 hours a week so I did some searching online and as far as I can see these kind of long hours appear to be the norm. Since most of what Ive read online is from abroad and I dont know too many Accountants personally I was wondering if anyone here could shed some light on what the situation in Ireland is really like?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 8,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Jim2007

You will probably get more responses if you ask this question on the accounting forum...

Accountants do have a lot of deadlines in the work, accountants in practice have audit and tax filing dates to meet, accountants in industry have end of quarter, end year reporting requirements etc... It's along time since I worked in Ireland in this area, but I very much doubt that the Irish experience will be very different to what you have read. That said, it will also depend on the company culture as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭ sonyvision

It's all about the company and type of work you end up in. I'm about 8 years working in finance, qualified ACCA 4 years and done my BA in college. I'm in industry average week is 35 hours, with deadlines and forecast could be some extra hours in the evening, few weeks up to 50 hours is expected and delivery is a must.

I would stay away from practice, friends went to the big 4 firms, working 50 hours a week is on the low end. Thankfully I was never smart enough for the big 4. Got 2.2. In college ruled me out of applying and thankfully followed the industry route.

PM if you have any direct questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ sharky86

Currently in a big 4 training contract, yes we do work 50+ hours sometimes 60+ hours during busy periods but at the same time during slower periods we work less than 33 hours. Coupled with that if you go down the route of ACA exams with a big four you will also get paid study leave in the first couple of years in addition to your annual leave.

You will work hard when your working but you also learn an awful lot in those 50+ hour weeks, you are very much learning by immersion as well as osmosis from your colleagues. It's a very difference role in practice after your course and I think I would struggle to learn the ropes if it wasn't for the long work weeks.

After your qualified, then its entirely up to yourself what you want to do but it definitely will open up doors for you

Advertisement