Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Humanist Celebrants

• 02-11-2021 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys

Just wondering is there any one you would recommend mend in the Dublin area

Its very hard to chose from just looking at the pictures, Has anyone had a good experience with one in particular

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

We had Siobhan Walls. We found her lovely to work with! She's very organised, which I love. She organised a call with us ~6 months before our (original) date and talked us through the options for rituals etc. She sent us a template script that we were able to work from, as well as lots of suggested readings and detailed information about rituals. We sent multiple versions of the script back and forth before finalising everything. She was great with all the questions we had and was able to veer us in the right direction. We were writing our own vows and we had the two father's write and read wedding wishes. Siobhan asked that we send these to her a week before the wedding. I was wondering why she needed them so far in advance (turns out she was checking the length and making sure there was no religious content!), but it definitely helped that she kept us on the ball, as we had so many other things to do in the last week.

She was always good at communicating by email and was very helpful when we needed to change our date multiple times.

We had a lovely personalised ceremony in the end and she's very well spoken.

It's very difficult to pick someone you haven't met before, but I do remember finding a video of her doing a ceremony online, so that gave us a good feel for her style!

Just to add, if you want to put your mind at ease before booking someone, you could request a quick chat on the phone/zoom first. I don't think we did it with our celebrant, but we did do it when looking for a photographer. We did have questions, but it was mainly to see what their personality is like and if we'd gel well with them on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Thanks for the info woodchuck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

We had Eithne Dempsey and she was fantastic. Organised and so easy and brilliant to deal with. We met her twice before the ceremony to have a chat and go through it all. Would highly recommend.

We were at a wedding at the weekend and they had Emma Sides as their humanist. She was really good! This was a couple who finally got to do their day properly after disaster struck on their original date in March 2020. They did go ahead with a very small legal ceremony at the time with Emma. I remember in the run up to their original date that the bride was raving about Emma and it seems she was really good at pulling everything together when the pandemic happened.

I had heard other people recommending her before too actually, but I think she wasn't available for our original date.

Another one to consider!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

We had Philip Byers and I would highly recommend him 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Would you guys have any tips going into the first meeting with your celebrate,

Is there any thing in particular you should have in mind or bring up with them ,

Ohh and thanks for all the help we are going with Emer Dillon

Advertisement