Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Teacher Leaving Teaching

• 31-10-2021 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, so my apologies if I'm in the wrong, but I was looking for advice.

I'm a secondary school maths and science teacher, and I'm considering leaving teaching, for personal reasons (which is why I've started a new account for this). I've asked on the Teaching and Lecturing forum before, out of curiosity, but I suppose most people there don't have much experience of leaving teaching for something else, so I didn't get any responses.

I'm just wondering what the job market is like for someone with extensive teaching experience but who doesn't want to be involved with schools anymore. I have honours degree level in maths and one of the hard sciences. I would expect that any salary in a new position is likely to be quite a bit lower than what I'm currently on, and I accept that, but I'd like to know what's out there. Money isn't a driver of this move but it's obviously a concern. I am at an age where if I don't make a move now, I'm going to be too old to make any kind of progress in a different profession in the future.

I'm also not really even sure where to look, because I've only ever worked as a teacher, so I don't really know where exactly I should look or what jobs I ought to be looking at.

I'd appreciate any advice people might have.

TLDR: I'm a maths and science teacher, looking to find a job in a different line of work, and would like to know what my prospects are.

Comments

Advertisement