Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying new car with primary medical certificate

• 27-10-2021 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

My dad has primary medical certificate and I've just put deposit on new car and want to apply for scheme under family member of disabled person and get the car adapted for him as a passenger.

Would like to know when applying via revenue website is the primary medical certificate the only document required?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 inish100

Once you submit the PMC to revenue it is a fairly straightforward process from there on.the dealer should take care of everything other than you may have to give the road tax people some information to get free road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CivilServant91

Can I ask a stupid question? If you buy a car through the scheme and you are entitled to dispose of the car every 2/3? Surely it would be madness not to replace the car every 2 or 3 years? And also with the fuel allowance it negates any benefit of going electric?

Sorry, have an application in for a family member and just waiting to hear back after our appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 179club

Hi. Unless your burning a lot of fuel the fuel rebate is not much as fuel prices through the roof. I went electric and asked about rebate. Revenue told me they are trying to put it on fuel rebate scheme. You don't have to dispose of car every two or three years. Use the scheme as it is there for you. Some dealers ask you to pay VAT upfront and you claim it back. I have only dealt with dealers who do it for you. A nice thank you from them. Also do not for get to apply for your toll sticker that is free tolls nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Jacket111001

Hi,

If you are looking for a second hand vehicle would it make financial sense to buy in the North or UK?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I bought a used vehicle up north a few years ago as a disabled driver. It was a straightforward process at the time. I received a PMC, bought the vehicle and adapted it to suit me, booked appointment at nct office to be examined and it was registered here.

I don't drive anymore and hope to see what's involved in changing to a disabled passenger on the same vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 mario21

I’m looking to apply for PMC in the future. Is it a long process. I know disability is private and I’m not asking for any specific details, but I myself cannot drive due to a neck operation (unsuccessful) I’ve no range of motion in neck so had to give up driving myself. I also only have full use of one leg due to a failed lower back operation so I was wondering does a doctor examine you? Or if you know anything about process I’d appreciate your guidance

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

My wife has her PMC a good while now. Her application included a lot of GPs letters and records with further info from her consultant also required. This was just to get her through the door for the deciding medical which was performed by some top dog in the HSE in Galway city in our case. This medical and review went on for over an hour if I recall correctly.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I had to do everything in Fann Linn's post and after being examined I was refused the PMC after waiting about 6 weeks for the appointment. The criteria is extremely strict. There is an appeal process available which I was successful with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mario21

Thanks guys, I actually had to give medical documentation recently there must have been 100 pages and loads of discs for imaging and every report under the sun lol so genuinely not able bodied anymore. Either way the medical reports or an examination would prove that I’m just wondering what way they do it. I’m disabled through an accident in my 30s and find it’s hard to get any help as they are always suspicious of everyone as there’s so much abuse in the system. I’d love to be able to drive again. They gave me free travel which was brilliant but I’ve no balance so can’t get on a bus or train (with the gap). Thanks for responses!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 maudcol1

hey! Can I ask some questions….

my dad has been awarded the cert. I am

now going to get a car as a driver of passenger with adaptations etc.

can you tell me the first thing I do? Go to garage or revenue?

also when I’m buying the car so let’s say a new car do I have to pay the car in full?? Or can I take out finance as normal on tHe car??

thank you!

• Advertisement

From what I recall go to Revenue with the paperwork you received back from the medical examiner. They'll give you then a reference number associated cert etc identifying you and then go to the garages. From my understanding some garages may do finance however I'm not sure if all do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 OMCDonagh

Hi there. I see you were assessed in the Galway area which is where I'm based. Have applied for PMC for my Dad who has Parkinsoons. Did it take long to get assessment and after that how long until the cert was issued? Many thanks in advance. O.

From application to test took about a year I'd say with gathering all of the medical evidence etc. Once my wife passed the test however and sent all of the info into Revenue it was assessed and cleared almost immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 OMCDonagh

Thanks very much for the prompt reply. I've sent all medical supporting docs with the application so hopefully it won't be too long then as I'm eager to change my car but want to get all my ducks in a row first!

Advertisement