Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gardai & Cycling

Options

Comments

• I’d argue that last point is pretty much nothing shy of a poorly thought out assumption. There are many, many more factors at play that would make more logical sense. Especially because a Garda’s job isn’t to pick and choose when they enforce the law.

however, lets look at a similar (albeit) hypothetical situation to that of the OP.

So a Pedestrian (let’s call him John) is crossing at a Zebra crossing.

A car is approaching and they’re talking on their phone or some shite, either way not paying attention and they narrowly avoid a collision with John. By the grace of God he’s fine & despite being freaked out he was able to catch a quick look at the registration plate and the make/model/colour of the car that just missed him. He couldn’t make out the driver at all however.

now let’s look at that same situation with a cyclist - how do you report this to the Gardai? You’re depending on a few things really, the first of which is that you caught a look at the cyclists face. If not you’d hope someone did. The point being, is all you’d have to go and make a statement to the Gardai is a description of the person and the bike they were using and since bicycles don’t have plates or anything you are hoping that the garda investigating happen upon someone, who looks similar to what you could describe, on a bike that looks similar. You’re somewhat more in luck should there be CCTV to back your story up.

but with a car, you really just need to hope there’s CCTV and/or a witness willing to make a statement also. If you have the reg it makes their job just head and shoulders easier.

so long and short is, I don’t think for one second they ignore cyclists breaking the rules because it’s effort, I would imagine it’s because it’s a tall order to even prosecute them. And that assumes you can find em!

Exactly

Evidence.

how many CCTV cameras does you think caught that incident you were a witness to?

There are no forensics to a cyclist going through a red light.

witnesses are evidence. If you saw an offence, off you pop to the Garda station, tell them you are willing to be a witness in court, and make a statement in writing. 😁

if you don't want to do your bit, then don't complain about gardai

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Getting back to the original question, a couple of gardai I know have had the reaction 'do we not have better things to be doing with our time than going after cyclists?'.

To be fair, one of those gardai is a leisure cyclist himself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I did enjoy the 'motorists rarely break red lights' comment though. Blindness is a terrible affliction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

You don't believe the truth? Once at the bridge over the canal at rathmines road, twice on at Stephens green, and loads of times on Kildare street; the guards outside the dail seem to be bored enough to go after the cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I believe what I witness, both driving and as a commuter on public transport ;) which is the truth, a YouTube vid that I can’t really be bother watching doesn’t change facts

However let’s ignore cyclists and just focus on cars eh ;).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It would be self financing for the first few weeks and at that stage you could scale back the presence as there would be more of an expectation of being caught so drivers would stop doing it. Just enforcing ASLs would be like shooting fish in a barrel

• Registered Users Posts: 11,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If people don't want to talk about cars, perhaps stop mentioning them in almost every post...

If the Garda enforcing the law is a problem for people. Perhaps not breaking the law would make it less an issue for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,362 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The last RSA speed survey shows 98% of motorists breaking urban speed limits. So tell me again which group is "the worst"?

• Advertisement

i do think that many motorists don't realise how much RLJing is done by motorists; as a cyclist, when i'm waiting at a junction, i'm waiting at the front of the queue and usually have as good a view of the junction as possible. a motorist queuing at a junction is usually not at the front, and would usually be set back and have their view partly concealed by at least one other car.

in dublin now, if a junction does not clear on a green cycle, i would say it's unusual not to see someone in a car running the red. i saw five motorists do it on a single occasion yesterday. to the point where we had to wait at the green for a couple of seconds for them to move clear before we could pull off.

cyclists are the worst when it comes to going through red lights which is what we are discussing :) you or anybody else’s..” wawhh bu bu bu but what about motorists ? “ isn’t exactly a learned reply to a topic that was started about cyclists....and many of them who have a complete 100% disregard for the safety of others.

The original question of this thread was wondering do they ever enforce the rules add much as they do drivers.

We know they do issue fines for cyclists from the limited reports they have released. We also know that both law breaking by cyclists and drivers is rampant.

But the op implies they aren't interested in official stats and reports only what they see themselves. So that suggests this is yet another rant. At this point they should just set up letting if stream forum for people who want to rant or maybe that's after hours.

It's amazing the amount of people who complain about gardai 'not doing their job' and yet when it is explained that there needs to be witnesses, then they're not so interested

I think flinty I opened a discussion, what you are posting would qualify more as a rant as you seem hell bent on getting emotional and attacking me rather then contributing to either angle of the debate.

cyclists are far more guilty yet as you claim “3 fixed cyclist penalty fines a day” is a stat... I find that odd as you will find 3 cyclists minimum breaking lights just outside my place in an hour... the cycle lane by Clontarf 3 in 10 minutes, one dangerous moron almost ploughing into an elderly lady and her dog as I’ve said.. :) but you know, rant rant blah blahhh... :)

who ( in this thread ) is complaining about Gardai not doing their jobs ? :)

I’m seeking an insight in relation to the policing of cyclists on our roads. :) their resources and ability to etc...

Because its Boards. It happens on every thread that raises dangerous or illegal cyclist behaviour. They turn every thread into an attack on motorists because cyclists believe they are never in the wrong, and no laws apply to them. Just look at the thread on cycling on the footpath.

I'm surprised you don't know this by now, Strumms.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,362 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Do you find it 'odd' that we have 98% of drivers breaking urban speed limits (and just ICYMI, speeding motorists are one of the top three causes of road deaths) and yet enforcement of motorist speeding is at negligible levels?

Could you point to any actual example where anyone said the things that you claimed they said please?

The Luas red light camera disagrees with you that 'cyclists are the worst when it comes to going through red lights', The camera found that 88% of red light jumping in Dublin was done by motorists. It was catching so many motorists that they had to switch it off, as Gardai couldn't keep up with the reports.

But a more interesting question would be why you would narrow in on that particular offence by that particular road group? You pretend to be concerned about "ensure safer roads for everyone" and yet you focus in on a particular issue that has zero impact on road deaths here and negligible impact on injury rates. Can we take that you're the absolute perfect driver yourself when it comes to sticking rigidly to the speed limit, never having your phone in your hand or on your lap, never having a blown bulb etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I'm a cyclist and a driver based in Dublin and I see very little enforcement by Gardai regarding breaking lights or cycling/driving on pavements. I break lights occasionally myself while cycling but not in the manner described in the OP. The most common way cars break lights is when the lights go green for straight ahead but are red for left turns through a pedestrian crossing drivers often don't pay attention to the lights but when they see the traffic in the lane to their right start moving they take the turn breaking the light. Often happens that I'm nearly run down by motorists doing this while I'm out walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

You really do waste too much time fretting over this OP, why exactly does it bother you? Cyclists break lights, no one gets harmed, just accept it.

• Advertisement

I’m not fretting you can be assured :) however in the last 30 or so months...I’ve spent more time on the road then I ever have and it’s therefore become more noticeable to me.... the absolute gormless and careless freak deliberately going through a red almost ploughing through an elderly woman and her pet was what was peaking my curiosity as regards the Gardai and their attitude / resources on this type of matter...

Well placing gardai at traffic lights would not be a good use of resources.

pretty sure if a guard observed a cyclist almost ploughing down an elderly woman, then they would stop that cyclist.

Well in this specific thread Strummer introduced motorists into, and keeps bringing them into it.

If you bring official stats or reports or research or facts into it as impartial metric they aren't interested as they prefer to have their own anecdotal stories. So it's all a bit pointless.

Which wouldn't be an issue if it was only a couple of threads. But this kinda posting is repeated in many threads. To the point at which the mods have to put rules in about it.

In this case he asked about stats on enforcement on cycling offences. They are well documented. But he doesn't want to read them. So what do you want? An unchallenged soapbox.

Maybe you could create a blog or vlog. Seems like you have no shortage of content. Then create a thread linking to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

"Look out for each other" current RSA campaign regarding protecting older people seems to be focussed on driver behaviour rather than cyclists https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRbkuGAScd4

Many if not most cyclists are drivers and as you have said, will have seen the same for decades. It's not news to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

What evidence? If you stand at a pedrestrian crossing for an hour it is very unlikely that you will see a car driving through a red light it is almost ineviable that you will see a cyclist doing so. If you walk along a footpath you may encounter a park car, but I have never encounted a moving car on a footpath, but have been struck by cyclists. If you stand on a road you may see a car with one light missing, but you will rarely see one with no lights whatsoever, but a large proportion of cylists will not have lights.

Now I am fully in favour of penal measures against lawbreaking motorists, I want this extended to all lawbreakers on the road. I do not expect Gardai to diverty from mergency calls to stop cylists, but I do expect them to do so in the course of their ordinary work, but they do not.

Very unlikely to see motorists breaking red lights?

Are you for real? If you spent 5 mins at the traffic lights you would see one or two, every single light change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

"If you walk along a footpath you may encounter a park car, but I have never encounted a moving car on a footpath, but have been struck by cyclists."

If you see them parked on footpaths (who doesn't see it constantly in Dublin?) how come you've never seen them moving on footpaths? They hardly have vertical landing and take-off capability.

• Advertisement

people seem to be blind to motorists breaking red lights. it's chronic.

a couple of years ago i was out and decided to see how many times motorists would break red lights, and i simply stopped counting. every single cycle of lights on the first 12 junctions i came to, at least one motorist ran a red.

i have been beeped at in the car and nearly rear ended a couple of times because i stopped for a red the motorist behind expected me to drive through.

Advertisement