Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2021 T20 World Cup in UAE/Oman

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭secman

Delighted for the lads, only have a passing interest stemmed from my late parents who happily signed up as members of Rush cricket club, their mobile site was literally across the road. Had many a good time there with them many moons ago.

Roll on 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭secman

Apologies if this sounds a stupid question, with 11 players and only losing 3 wickets why do we win by 7 wickets ...ah as typing i think its because you have to have pairs of batting so it will be 10 less 3 ?

🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

It’s not a stupid question, teams bat in pairs, so the team has 10 wickets, even though it has 11 players, one player is always not out at the end, even if the team is bowled out. An opening bat can bat through a full innings, but the numbers 2 to 11 could all be dismissed, so they can not continue their innings. In this case Ireland were chasing a low total and lost 3 wickets in a successful chase, the margin of victory is always expressed in terms of runs or wickets, in the case of a chasing team achieving the target, you subtract the number of wickets lost from 10, (the wickets available) to calculate the victory margin. In the case of a team batting first and winning, the victory margin is expressed in runs, for example, India 165/5 in 20 overs beating Pakistan 158/8 in 20 overs would be India win by 7 runs, if Pakistan scored 166/4 inside 20 overs, it would be Pakistan win by 6 wickets

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Sri Lanka bowl out Namibia for 96

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Looking at the Dutch side today, they had 9 out of their 11 being born in another country and that is taking it too far. I've nothing against foreign born players playing for a different country and I don't blame them either, but to only have 2 locals in the side isn't right. Surely to develop the game of cricket in that country you would want to give local players opportunities and also proof that that pathway exists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

I think Ireland deserved their victory, highlighted by 4 wickets in 4 balls, for Seamus O’Brien, who is this Curtis Campher dude, what county is he from? I know it’s a smartarse post, but they are all at it, Oman have no players born there, as far as I know, definitely 9 of their 11 were not born there, and I’m not sure about the other 2, they flattened Papua New Guinea, who have an almost home grown squad, it must be annoying for them to be bowled out by Pakistanis and Indians, the ICC is all about money, so nothing is ever done about this situation, it’s gone ridiculous, European cricket teams have hardly any home grown players, division 3 sides like Germany Italy or Belgium, Ireland have a mixture, but Oman take the biscuit with none

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Very impressed by Scotland again. Fell away a bit at the end with the bat, could have got close to 200 at one point. Bowling has been excellent. No team will relish playing them.

Scotland beat PNG by 17 runs.

Only a 17 run victory in the end after some great lower order hitting. Amazing effort after being 67-6. Not great for Scotland's NNR.

Bangladesh beat Oman by 26 runs. This group set for a fascinating finale. Advantage Bangladesh you would feel with them facing namibia

• Advertisement

Bangladesh NRR v close to Scotland. Assuming they beat PNG in the first match Thursday they will most likely pass Scotland's NRR. That would mean Oman v Scotland is winner takes all as Oman are already ahead of Scotland on NRR.

As gillespy mentioned that PNG comeback today proving v costly to Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭No_Hope_Club

In fairness to Co-hosts Oman, it is a great opportunity for them to progress.

Oman fell in a heap after getting into a decent position to get the runs. Better sides will play out Shakib and the Fizz but instead it looked like they tried to target them. They made the job harder for themselves with poor fielding and catching. Overall not a great standard this game.

Namibia win the toss v Netherlands and will bowl. Trying to think of the best result for us here, a narrow win for the Namibians probably slightly preferable?

Obviously things are in our hands, but in the event of us losing to Sri Lanka later that would mean we would definitely qualify then with a win in our last game. One thing for sure today is that we have to keep the importance of NRR in mind. If the game v SL is getting away from us it may be best to try put ourselves in as good a position as possible from a NRR perspective.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Namibia v The Netherlands is on Sky Sports Mix, for anyone watching. They're showing the England v NZ warm-up game on Sky Sports Cricket.

I think Sky Sports Mix is free-to-air.

The Ireland v SL game later is on Sky Sports Cricket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

I don't watch much cricket but saw some of Oman match yesterday. A batsman kicked the ball away from his stumps after already hitting it. This used to be out - hit ball twice. Has the rule changed or is it just for T20?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

You're allowed protect your wicket with your foot in this way, and indeed with your bat - see https://www.lords.org/mcc/the-laws-of-cricket/hit-the-ball-twice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

For as long as I've been involved in cricket, yes.

Note that you can kick/hit the ball a second time "in defence of your wicket", which just means moving it away from your stumps - it doesn't mean you can lamp it over the point fielder for four.... 🤣

thought Namibia were sloppy in the field earlier prob cost them 10-15 runs, could be crucial

• Advertisement

Namibia making good work of this chase

Six wicket win for Namibia with an over to spare

Ireland win the toss and put SL in to bat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Some catch this if its given

Carlsberg start here

3 wickets down in first two overs. Amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A superb start, which I missed but if our bowlers stay disciplined ( wide half volley bowled by Adair as I type and then width ball both 4’s ) we have a great chance...

13 from an over of half volleys and no variation.

Singh starts well then four half trackers for 4 in a row...Grrrr

Does Singh know he plays for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Several hospital deliveries in that over.

ive a feeling we might rue those sloppy overs...

we had these up against the wall now it’s all changed, bowling been poor.

• Advertisement

Think our goose is cooked here

Advertisement