Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nova Broadband Lately?

• 12-10-2021 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

Anyone else here have Nova Broadband, I’ve been with them now 6 years, speeds are always quite decent around 20-30mb

Last few weeks I’ve noticed a massive drop off at random times and my upload speed is at 0.00 atm

Ive also noticed my phone now picks up 4g out here and my speeds on three are 70mb

How have ye gotten on with Nova lately and does it make sense to switch to three home broadband for faster speeds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

1. If you haven't already, contact nova about your issues. They're usually very helpful and fixed any issues I had over the years

2. I'd check your speed on 4g throughout the day to ensure it remains good. If you find it reliable across all waking hours, then it might be an option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

What I find strange is my 4g signal is now significantly faster than nova despite being off the same tower. I’m considering switching to it as my main tbh

It's not necessarily strange. 4G uses different frequencies than the Ubiquiti gear that Nova use (which is for all intents and purposes, long-range 2.4Ghz wi-fi)

A lot of rural 4G deployments are 800 Mhz. That frequency is much better at covering large areas than a 2.4Ghz signal (which also usually needs line of sight)

Get on to Nova, and if you have no luck with them, then give one of the 4G providers a go (or Starlink!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I had to get rid of Nova earlier on in the year and go back to Telecom Eireann. Lots of drop-outs and poor speeds.

They did very little to resolve the problem

So the nova equipment is just outdated by the sound of it I wonder why they don’t change it up my current install is like 5/6 years old

My main worry with 4g is the speeds look good during the day but how would it deal with a family’s usage at night.

I think Starlink is probably the way I will go but I’ll leave it for awile to see how people get on with it

Is imagine still awful around the Killavullen area do any of ye know?

• Advertisement

No its not out-dated. It's just the technology they (and a hell of a lot of other Wireless providers) have chosen. It's proven tech at this stage, but it has its limitations (which Nova don't have much control over). It's plenty for most needs (when working correctly).

If you're worried about the 4G at night, then just run a few speed tests at night over a few nights.

I’ve sent 4 emails out now this last week about my upload speed and they haven’t answered 1, they are usually great for service so dunno what’s going on. Tonight again I have no upload speed :(

So I checked the 4g tonight since 9pm averaging 1-2 mb so that’d be completely useless sadly I guess I’ll have to pay close attention to starlink

Post edited by ussjtrunks on

Advertisement