Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Owen Keegan, DCC manager, sneers at homeless students

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭KildareP

I would be very interested to find out too.

There has to be far more to this than just one half of a very sharp letter exchange and I'm always immediately suspicious when a party to a dispute only publishes one side of, or a very small portion of, a wider exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

The universities should be forced to provide minimum fifty percent of bed spaces of the total attending that college. That would make serious inroads into the problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf, with covid and campuses being closed last year, a lot of the students would not have been close to campus so could easily have been missed. You could have put that notice up last year or even during the summer usually and it'll likely be missed as students aren't around.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Great and how is this paid for considering 3rd level funding has been slashed in the last decade? Where do they then build these magically paid for buildings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

On their own land first and foremost. Tons of ultra low density crap on it now... or outside their own campus if needs be. if they dont have the funds, set up a state one. But rents should be capped at affordable levels...

If they were forced to do that. It would provide a serious amount of new units...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Why would the students check for planning applications on a purpose built student accommodation building? How would it ever cross their minds that the owners would seek to change its use before it was put into use?

I think that it’s the Students Union who missed the planning application, not the actual students themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Students are sooooooooooo sensitive.

• Advertisement

They sure will. Any places that were intended for students should now be monitored going forward to ensure that the SU can object to any applications which should be rejected anyway.

I was too lazy to type UCDSU on my phone again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

The uni's should be pushing more remote learning, the students are older enough to know if they don't show up they fail. Dragging thousands of students up to Dublin to sit in a room when potentially 70% of the lectures can be done remote seems pointless. A system when students have 1-2 days a week or month would be better.

If I google in the US they seem to offer degrees etc remote

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Thi post is an answer to why they need to do this... We a re sneaky as people and the politicians are at the top of the pile.. Pretty well everything that is done in this country is because of lobbying of a group and the media...

I see the same Mr Keegan is saying nothing about the proposed concerts in Croke park this time as it looks like that planning is also being reviewed...

The officers usually take a years sabbatical to work in SU. Yes, they are students, but ones who work for the students in their College.

There have been distance learning options for many years. Open University most obviously.

But there is a lot more to university education than just lectures, and even then the online version is a poor substitute for in person lecturing (much less interaction and the lecturer even finds it difficult to “read the room” when teaching online compared to in a class).

And anyhow, why should students cede accommodation to the tourist sector? Who has more pressing reasons to be in the city, people who work and study there, or tourists?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Any sign of a copy of the original letter sent by Power to keegan?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

People looking to be out raged shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭ Rose Small Quintessence

Keegan was once my boss. From my knowledge of him, it figures.

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

• Advertisement

Think its a shocking tone to take in an official correspondence, whether a fella is public or private sector once you are setting out an official position on something you should have some standards, and hes well below par here

Im pretty sure one could counter whatever rubbish a students union had come up with without resorting to this level

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

But where's the letters the students wrote to him.

Personally I think more people should answer back sarcastically to those that write in a similar way.

As as others have said - why didn't they object? - Not only are the planning files public but this application also got news coverage in both the indo and Irish times when the application was lodged.

So the student were asleep at the wheel, but want to blame the someone else.

And the thread title is straight out of the daily mail school of gutterness. He did not sneer at homeless student, he sneered at the snowflake author who probably wrote a dialogue of tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

On a general note, who watches the watchman i.e. Keegan?

As a previous poster noted, it is only since Covid that our streets have been opened up to outdoor hospitality, previously every barrier was put in place from sandwich board bans to removal of outdoor seating, bins, and lack of public toilet facilities. There is a lot more.

The city is looking better now than has in ages IMV. It now has a good vibe and it's great to see suitable streets being closed off to traffic in favour of them being used as they should be and are now.

Cork is similar, but more proactive, and it's a great success. I do not know Keegan personally but get the impression that he is not a city lover, nor is he proactive in making improvements to the city unless it involves bicycles!

I doubt he lives in Dublin anyway and escapes from his eyerie every evening away from what he obviously considers to be Dodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,948 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Not objecting to a Planning Notice but complaining after the fact is the same as the many people who give out all-time about 'Da Guberment' yet when an Election comes around, they don't bother voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

arseholes be arseholes!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I genuinely don't think anyone should have and to object to this one whatsoever.

It was given the green light as student accommodation it was purposefully designed. Wheres the argument to tear that planning up after the place was built and before it had one student pass through its doors.

The department in Dublin clearly don't have a clue what they are doing. They are choking the city of local and valuable workforce. All of these people work during colleges. There's an entire ecosystem built around it rather than throwing money abroad into whatever REIT picks it up .

Arse from elbow frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Keegan is dead right...all the lefty populists, the Shinners, the students etc etc looking for cheap or free homes are not living in the real world. If it was possible for homes to be cheaper, they would be cheaper. They're not because it's not possible. We have entrenched building costs due to high wages, high land costs due to poor planning, and high insurance costs due to massive payouts. The lefty populists need to tell us exactly how they would substantially reduce those costs otherwise they are just full of hot air.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭ Rose Small Quintessence

Can you imagine the morale within the organisation he has managed… it’s not such a pretty picture.

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭griffin100

Power is a member of Soc Dem and is a pound shop politician in waiting. He has form for this sort of crap. To suggest anyone (even Keegan) should loose their job because he told the gobshite to p!ss off is laughable. Gary Gannon (another dim-witted Soc Dem gimp) has written to the Ceann Comhairle asking for time in the Dail to be made available to respond to Keegan's statement. That just about sums up the standard of politician in this country (and I'm including all parties in that). You have that goon James O'Connor threatening to bring down the government because some one horse town in his constituency wasn't getting a new road and a minister in Charlie McConalogue looking to spend €3bn of taxpayers money to keep his Dail seat. It makes you despair about the new generation of politicians, which seems as parochial and small minded as what came before it.

Advertisement