Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Owen Keegan, DCC manager, sneers at homeless students

• 11-10-2021 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭ Shelga

What do people think of his sarcastic and disdainful tone, in a letter to the president of UCD student union, Ruairí Power, who had expressed concern that purpose-built student accommodation (571 units, I believe- on Arran Quay) had been given permission to be turned into short-term holiday lets until May 2022?

I mean, not to ask a leading question or anything, but I hope this leads to the resignation of Keegan, who seems completely out of touch with the everyday problems faced by Dubliners. Just sick of every last one of the sneering overprivileged goons who rule over us. Also how was he able to unilaterally extend his own contract by 3 years? Guess lots of people would do the same if they were on €190k, despite having major shortcomings and a lack of basic human empathy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭ Shelga

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭ The J Stands for Jay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭ maestroamado

First of all i think the comment in the letter is a disgrace but if the Union have the funds why not. I assume Mr Keegan knows what he talking about to make a statement like that...

The powers that be will do as they please as we are a greedy people (all of us) then when its too late we complain. Vulture funds have being buying up properties in this Country for about 5 years and its only in recent months it became a political topic. At the same time this was being debated NAMA (a state agency) sold a large number of apartments to a British fund. Why were the Union not talking about it when one company bought 300+ apartments in west Dublin 3 years ago, around the same time there was a whole housing estate sold to a fund around Lepardstown to a fund. These developments should have been pickets put on these to ensure they were sold to families who wanted to buy homes. I said it here at the time in a thread (cuckoo properties) and basically i was told to keep quiet. This ship has sailed and not huch point in complaining when the damage has already being done...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭ markodaly

Haha, UCDSU is being schooled here, and it looks like they deserve it.

Is it true that UCDSU did not submit any submissions when this was going to planning? If not, why not?

They are coming across as reactionary amateurs, if so.

UCDSU should take this on the chin and learn from it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭ godtabh

Why didn’t the student union object?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ dudley72

From what I read it was brought to a vote and all parties kept him in the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭ The J Stands for Jay

How likely are they have been aware of the application in time to object?

From Dublin City Councils website

• ”A copy of the public site notice: The site notice isshould be placed on site for five weeks from the date of receipt of the planning application. You must replace the site notice if it becomes illegible or is removed, as failure to do so may invalidate your application. The site notice must be located where the site meets the public road and should be clearly visible to members of the public”

Are there copies available online of all the correspondence between them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ KildareP

Suspect there may be more to this than one side of what appears to be a lengthy back and forward exchange.

They really don't do themselves any favours by virtue of the fact they didn't object when they had the chance.

As far as planning is concerned, if you don't make a submission you quite literally have no right to later complain or appeal if it does not go in your favour.

You don't have to hang around sites or scour newspapers, every county council must publish all planning correspondence online on their website.

A quick search every week or two of the local authority's planning portal would have shown the application going up with several weeks before submissions close to put in a response.

There are even free services out there that will do that search automatically for you and send you an e-mail as soon as something gets added.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭ maestroamado

All accommodation within Keegan's remit is part of this discussion for me...

I cannot understand how student accommodation was changed without the knowledge of the union... this is all on-line...

Also is this temporary and will revert in May...

That's the Minister for Housing overriding the planning system and it's processes.

Don't get me wrong the planning system in this country is dysfunctional in many ways but there is a process here.

If everyone could complain retrospectively about planning applications then absolutely nothing would get built in this country.

Sort of like certain parties lambasting the government about a shortage of housing whilst simultaneously objecting against the granting of planning permission for housing.

And based on the track record of how the Housing Minister(s) has handled the rental crisis, expect his department to make a complete hash of this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,593 ✭✭✭✭ pjohnson

View or Search Planning Applications | Dublin City Council

And if you'd rather not Search once a week then:

MapAlerter.ie // Free Text Alert Service for Irish Council Issues - MapAlerter, Free Text Alert for Irish Council Issues (water, planning, roads)

Takes all of 5 minutes to set up, I did it when I moved to my present area 5 years ago and every planning application that goes up gets e-mailed automatically to me.

I haven’t a notion. Don’t get me wrong, a change to the use of the building which covered 2 semesters should never have been granted. I may have tuned out of all the covid stuff a long time ago but even I was aware that getting students back to their classrooms was always happening.

Id just like to see the full correspondence between both parties. Were they getting digs in at each other prior to the above letter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭ Fandymo

You can't expect a student union to do some actual legwork!!

Advertisement