Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Clueless....Demolition & Self Build

• 09-10-2021 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ SunnySundays

Hi, I'm looking at a potential demolition of a derelict cottage and build my own house on the site. Ideally 3 bed with a small office,nothing overly fancy.

Genuinely haven't a clue where to start, could anyone give me a run down of the full process from planning, design, demolition,construction etc. including the professionals I need and likely costs etc.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ SunnySundays

Bump! Anyone at all?

Even a starting point would be very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ starbaby2003

Hi, I’m not a professional but for our renovations we engaged an architect first off. You would probably need a QS too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭ malinheader

Definitely need some sort of plan, lots of different equations here.To name a few How well you want to insulate, heating, quality of foundations, ground quality and what part of country will have a big factor.

The way materials are going at the moment it's not going to be cheap.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 43,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭ muffler

To get you started you will need either an architect, engineer or technician. Ask about locally for recommendations or have a look at your local council's website for online planning applications in the general area and see who the most popular agents are.

You can get a firm that will supply all services to you including engineers and QS or you can engage them individually.

Advertisement