Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solis Hybrid - charge battery using Night rate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 up_north

Thanks guys. You’ve been a great help. Such a minefield made worse by the fact that many solar installers in the UK are so busy they won’t even return your call and two of them stopped contacting me when I started asking them questions.

Sorry - one more question. If a panel is in shade does it affect only the string it’s on (I think this is the case) or the entire array - assuming a single MPPT. And following on from that, if the inverter has two MPPTs is it better to connect one string to each MPPT rather than two strings into a single MPPT?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Each string needs to be on its own mppt*

*Some inverters you can parallel strings/ panels but with the solis it's max current is about 11 amps so having strings in parallel would exceed that.

But yes shading in one panel will pull down the whole string to that panels output

Out of interest, does anybody use a battery that isn’t on Solis’ approved list?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭con747

All the lads that diy'd batteries in the diy battery thread.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

with this caveat : the batteries there pretend to be on the approved list..

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Nuphor

Good news, support finally got back to me. They updated the firmware remotely (now running 3A0029).

Setup Self use similar to earlier posts in the thread (charge 4am-6am at 25A). Bad news: the battery’s been sitting at 99% this evening and it won’t discharge to power the place in the evening. Have riddled with some settings in the storage options, and tried other modes, but somethings definitely stopping the battery being used. No warnings/errors.

edit: ah, I’d forgotten that Backup mode was toggled independently of self-use/feed-in. Disabled and set a discharge time and all good.

Post edited by Nuphor on

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

(selfishly asking but...)

Would it be worth folks sharing pictures of the settings in their battery menus so others can try them out (albeit at their own peril!!)

for instance, my puredrive 5kW batt will not discharge below 19% 🤷‍♂️ for the life of me I can't figure out why, sent solis an email 10 days ago and chased to still awaiting a reply

I"m playing about with my night time settings right now, so the guidance has been really helpful, a screenshot would be be very handy for both trials and rollbacks!👍️

though I did just find this as a good starter for others

all other pics or vids appreciated👌

You need to go into advanced settings and set the Over Discharge SOC to a higher level than the Force Charge SOC and then save settings. I have mine set to 23% and 20% due to the amount of power cuts so I have enough left in the batteries just in case. AFAIK you need a few % between the settings. PureDrive warranty their batteries to discharge down as low as 10%. So you could set at 13% and 10%.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

Any comments or observations greatly appreciated

currently running a 5.5kW array with a 5kW Puredrive battery. Looking to add more batteries soon

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Solarwicklow

Hi, have 2 dyness batteries 2.4kw each, looking for an advice if the settings for a charge/discharge limit are correctly set, only noticed that menu on my inverter today when setting up night charge for the first time.

Charge limit set at 10A, discharge at 50v,is that correct?or should it be adjusted? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jfdelb

I THINK IT IS SIMPLY BECAUSE THE SOC IS AT 96%, AND LOGICALLY THE BATTERY'S BMS SLOWS DOWN THE CHARGE. OBSERVE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE SOC IS BELOW 90% AND YOU WILL SEE THAT THE LOAD IS AT 50A.

SORRY FOR THE ENGLISH, I AM USING THE GOOGLE TRANSLATOR

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Solarwicklow

Thank you for your reply, I'm not really good with amps settings and electricity in general, just wondered if it was ok ,I understand what you are saying, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,358 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

So it seems like I'm unable to change the 50A charge/discharge setting. We're generating over 4kW this morning but still exporting to the grid. I change the settings shown but they dont seem to save?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Does the battery support more than 50a?

And remember the lies told to us by solis, it will only do 100a for 15 mins then derates to about 70a.

I actually had this issue in the past where it just started forcing 50a no matter what I set, solution was for solis to update the inverter firmware

Yes battery (4*dyness) supports 100a. It seems to be throttling by the inverter.

However no changes I make seem to get saved. I've tried even switching off the input. Is there a "factory reset" anywhere?

And it seems stuck on "Grid - off grid" despite me switching between "self use" and "backup" modes. It even says self use in the menu but on the main display it shows grid off grid but the grid is powering the house. I'm sending 2.5kW to the batteries but pulling 600-3000w to the house. Makes no sense.

Do you have the possibility to try and set those values remotely via modbus/python? See if it makes a difference?

Tried powering off the inverter completely?

And reset the batteries too?

• Advertisement

I did a lot of fiddling and got it back to "auto" mode. But it seems that after a split second going above 50A, it resets back. Even after resetting everything. If it were an EV and a charger I'd say something was throttling the charge rate.

Anyway, I'll just mitigate as best as possible, maybe get a second inverter and some more batteries.

I'd say get onto Solis and have them either update your FW or see if they can force the 100a values remotely.

The FW update fixed this exact issue for me back when I had the puredrive battery installed.

I'm running 4x dyness at the moment without any issues on my 6kwh solis hybrid on FW version: 3A0029

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭connesha

@ELM327 , are you on solis 6kw hybrid 5g? And if I understand correctly, you can only get 50A in/out of battery?

If so, I've the same inverter, and am "stuck" at 65A limit.

I've a ticket opened for it with Solis, and am getting some responses this morning.

Maybe it'll useful to open a ticket too, if you haven't already? (at least they'll then see a couple of instances of a similar issue...). here is the link https://solis-service.solisinverters.com/support/tickets/new

In my case so far, they changed the FW to 3D002A this morning, but that has not resolved the issue. Lets see whats next...

Post edited by connesha on

Yes that;s the exact same one.

To be honest I'm considering not doing that, and instead considering the 50A limit as a protector/mitigant for battery degradation.

I have the 5G one so not sure about 6G, thought that wasn't out yet?

Did you also set up the manual values below as Dyness suggested?

Floating:55.5V

Overvoltage:56.75V

Undervoltage:43~45V

Battery select: Dyness LV

Assuming you have B51100s

Sorry, I read 6G as 6kw!

I hadnt changed the battery voltage but I checked in the battery settings and they all match what's above, including the name being preselected.

I'm also being quite the fool. Apparently - I saw this on youtube - if you don't switch the inverter to off in the advanced settings, the settings changes for amp limits etc doesnt save!

Apparently - I saw this on youtube - if you don't switch the inverter to off in the advanced settings, the settings changes for amp limits etc doesnt save!

Link please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 shareboy

Hi all

I've Solis hybrid inverter with 3.5kw pylontec battery.

I have my inverter set up for self use with Time of Use disable/stop.

At present my battery is charging from the pv panels and in turn discharged to the house. All good until bad weather days like today when generation is poor my battery force charges from the grid at 15% then goes on to discharge again to the house until it reaches 15%.

My question is can I set my inverter to just charge the battery from pv and not charge the battery from the grid? There is an option to not allow charging from grid but concerned that it will fall under 15% charge.

I only have a standard meter so no night rate avaible yet so hence the enquiry.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement