Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When you get retweeted on Twitter without a chance for correction

• 07-10-2021 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭

Just got retweeted a nanosecond from posting before a chance to do anything. It was an OK post I made, but the sudden retweet, well wow.

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Well done 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

Too used to the slower cogwheels of boards interacting.

Twitter is the opposite to Boards 😂 in that in that platform you can delete but not edit. On Boards you can edit but not delete.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

My great uncle Sir Hieronymus Burchell once sent a letter to his second-cousin, Georgina Montagu, about some manuscripts he was translating. He was stationed in India, and she was taking a tour of Bulgaria at the time. As was the custom, he had transcribed a copy for his records. Two weeks later, he was attending to some matters in his study and re-read the copy and discovered an error in a Latin phrase he had used (I won't repeat the error, it's embarrassing for all involved). As a venerated scholar of the Classics, this perturbed him greatly, and he set about attempting to have Lady Montagu return the missive for correction, by sending out a footman on horseback. However, when his emissary reached Sofia a number of weeks later, it was discovered that she had in turn sent the letter on to the Viscount Von Lieberman - then a diplomatic attaché to none other than the Swedish Royal Court! Obviously, sending the emissary on to Stockholm was absurd, as by the time he got there - it being a severe winter - the Viscount could have sent copies of the letter on to Moscow, Vienna - almost anywhere in Christendom! Poor Uncle Hieronymus had to put up with the shame of the error being spread far and wide with abandon, and it has carried down in our family to this day. So I understand the pain you feel regarding your the retweet. It's a story as old as time itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Allinall

Should have sent a horseman on foot.

Rookie mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Believe me, the next time he sent a letter, he had an entire squadron of cavalry on standby. Fortunately, it was both error free and banal enough that the Archbishop didn't forward it to anyone, and most likely only skim-read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Advertisement