Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Foot pump

• 07-10-2021 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ cena

Anyone know if these are any good to have in a car for an emergency

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,826 ✭✭✭✭ Atlantic Dawn

I'd look at electric tyre inflators instead, some are driven from the cigarette lighter connection, others have their own power held via battery...

https://www.aldi.co.uk/12v-li-ion-mini-air-compressor/p/018239285168700

• Registered Users Posts: 21,850 ✭✭✭✭ endacl

Electric inflator is the way to go, unless you fancy a leg workout too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭ zg3409

The very cheap manual and electric tyre pumps can break or bend easily. They can be bought for a few euro from china, but try better models as I have had them melt within 4 minutes.

I tend to find a local garage with free air, with a digital display and go there once every few months. I have a digital readout on my car if the pressure of each tyre. The cheap inflator is for absolute emergencies as I expect any regular use will cause it to reach end of life quickly.

A tow rope, jump leads, spare tyre, jumper starting pack are all near essentials along with proper maintenance and checking tyres for damage and thread depth. I have a thread depth dial which is very handy for deciding when to rotate and replace tyres. I tend to replace tyres coming into winter with more wet roads and less grip. I also have free breakdown from dealer warranty and many have it on their insurance policy as say 30 euro extra annual fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭ Miscreant

There was a thread late last year on tyre inflators which has a load of links in it for foot and electrically operated ones here: Recommend a tyre inflator — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

Might be worth a shot looking through it to get some tips. 🙂

Advertisement