Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paris Roubaix Hommes **spoilers be here**

• 02-10-2021 4:22pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My favourite classic when it’s muddy. It’s going to be muddy.

I literally have no idea who will win. So I am going to predict Philip Gilbert to make it 2 in a row. Postpone his retirement and win MSR next year.

Wout van Aert and van Der Poel are favourites I assume.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Lanterne Rouge Preview - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nO37F5FnQk

Really hard to predict this one but I expect it to be very entertaining. I'm going to cross my fingers and hope Van Aert and VDP are feeling good. If you are going by recent form then Van Baarle, Valgren and Stuyven are surely in with a good shout. I think I'll go for Senechal though based on his form and probably having the best team at the race. Although that means you might not have a clear leader so who knows.

Just hope we don't see the same amount of crashes we saw today, that would be carnage in the bigger field in the mens race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Surprised not to see Pidcock on the INEOS starting line-up. He's won the junior and the Espoirs version of this and is obviously in good form.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

There will be carnage tomorrow. I see Van Vleuten broker her pelvis/pubic bone today.

I don't think they really thought out the whole thing of having the women's race the day before. Grand if it's dry but the amount of cars and motorbikes that went through today would have muddied up, the already muddied cobbled sections. Wouldn't be surprised if somebody rocks up tomorrow with a cyclocross bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Morris Garren

Seneschal is also my tip for tomorrow; he won Le Samyn in typically miserable weather a few years ago. He is regularly riding on team orders but frankly, tomorrow will likely see 'cornage' as the southside wheelers might say... whoever doesn't crash too often will be best placed to win, which pretty much makes it a lottery I suppose.

I also have an odd feeling about Tim Declercq- the safest place as we all know is on the front. Imagine him still lingering in the front group if there is chaos behind? This great race is littered with unlikely heroes who have their one day of glory, and have joined the list of PR legends. Nobody wud begrudge Tractor Tim...

I'd love to see Nils Politt do it after coming so close last time but he's Sagan to work for.

Forecast for Roubaix area is for rain all night

I put a sneaky €1 E/W bet on Taco Van Der Hoon at 150/1 last week, he's down to 80/1 now. He did quite well in the Antwerp Port Epic In coming in second behind Van Der Poel in a sprint. It was quite a similar race.

But as mentioned before, Tim DeClercq is a great shout. Driving at the front, carnage behind and him being the last man standing. 325/1 😁

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm living a bit more than an hour away and it has been raining heavily and non stop since I half woke up four hours ago. Much more than any time in recent days. Not even joking that a CX bike may be the better choice given how bad it already was yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

This is going to be absolutely fcuking nuts

Wow loving the Delko Look kit

Doesn't seem like Kelly is on commentary duty today 🙁

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

How may times is Rob Hatch going to say 'Game of Stones' today?

I've counted 3 already and the flag has not even dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,017 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

"These are not those nice paving stones you see around your home town"

"Oh no no no no no"

Rob Hatch has a fine list of things I am sick of him saying

So- imagine if the winning break goes with 210km to go??? This is looking interesting.

Fair play Paddy Power. Got a couple of euro each on Gilbert and Ollie Naesen at 125/1. Not really expecting either to win but they are perfectly capable of doing so making those great odds.

• Advertisement

I think the winner is in the break. The gap is 1'50. There's near 30 in it. Unless there is a big crash in the break, they ain't catching it.

I also notice Tim DeClercq hasn't been driving on the front that much. I reckon he fancies himself

Here we go!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭griffin100

Fancy Mads Pederson for this but its going to be a lottery. The women’s race was carnage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Would not be surprised to see a few people just step off the bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,391 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What time are we expecting the finish... 4 / 430?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

The main peloton is tiny already

Wow Tim DeClerq really struggling

• Registered Users Posts: 24,017 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Break looks really strong but I'm struggling to get excited about any of those riders winning. GvA, Oss or Philipsen maybe but Im really not that fussed

As much as Rob Hatch was annoying me earlier... it would be better if he was back on now when all the action is happening. Dan & Maggy are not calling enough of the obvious stuff that a main commentator would do

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Went to the shops with the missus before the real action started. Came home and the race is in bits.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement