If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Conveyance solicitor duties

  • 30-09-2021 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ Danniilong

    Hi, I was just wondering when purchasing a house does the conveyancing solicitor have to visit the property which you wish to purchase?

    Moved: Posted in error in Motoring & Transport› Motors› Buying and Selling

    Post edited by macplaxton on


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭ true-or-false


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭ lawrencesummers

    You will be lucky if they return your call not to mind visit the place!

  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ Danniilong

    So would they be able to tell lets say if the wall was a little past the boundary?

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭ Captain_Crash

    Get an engineer to do a boundary search, if there is a hint of any encroachment your solicitor will insist on one anyway

  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ Danniilong

    Well we will be buying from a family member and no one really cares if the wall is a little off but I am just wondering if my solicitor will want to insoect the property to see something like this as it will cause unnecessary hassle.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭ Captain_Crash

    Shouldn’t cause any hassle and like another poster said, you’d be lucky if they returned a call let alone bother visiting the property. But if there is encroachment the engineer will note it in their report! Is the wall encroaching into the property your buying or out of? If it’s out, is the property it’s encroaching into owned by a family member?

  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ KB22

    For the last 30 year's, site plan's do not come with new build's. A one off would be a different thing. Even if you are dealing with a relation, you should have boundaries properly de-lineated. A solicitor should make sure of this. In the event of a future sale ,any

    argument's about boundary wall's etc. could be very costly.

  • Registered Users Posts: 23,323 ✭✭✭✭ Peregrinus

    No, the solicitor does not visit the property. Even if he did, he would not have the professional expertise to say if a wall was or was not erected on the boundary line.

    The professional you want for this job is a surveyor. If you engage a surveyor he will visit the property and check that the boundaries are correctly marked.

  • Registered Users Posts: 49,998 ✭✭✭✭ bazz26

    @mods. This thread is posted in the wrong forum. Can it be moved to the correct forum?

  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ Danniilong

    Yes it is the same family members land to the side, just a separate site so there will be no issues there and don't plan on reselling the house. We all just want to have as little hassle as possible.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭ Captain_Crash

    As true as it may be, your solicitor may want it checked and the bank may have to know also! But at worst it will just delay things so won’t cause a big issue but a surveyor will have to check it.

  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭ Claw Hammer

    A solicitor will likely want an engineers declaration of identity.