Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

should I buy it ?

• 29-09-2021 8:43pm

hi all, ,looking for. a new bike, currently have a very good spec carbon race bike, looking for something different, but have a difficult time trying to find something available etc, just like everyone. spotted this, https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/intl_en/roadmachine-x-two.html anyone any opinion good or bad, need to ride all year round, down country roads, lane etc, not sure I want to spend that much, but 3k doesn't really get a whole lot these days

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭ nicksnikita

It wouldn’t be for me.

I cant see how or why it costs €5k.

But it might be right for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,447 ✭✭✭ fat bloke

It looks deadly but... What is it? Is it a gravel bike?

I'm currently using a carbon cyclocross bike as a do it all trainer on and off road so I definitely understand where you're coming from but it is a feic of a lot of money.

On the other hand, if I ever want to have one I need brave lads like yourself to buy them, mind them and then sell them to me! :)

So yeah, if you're a 56, go for it and we'll talk in 2023. Otherwise, you'd have as much fun and functionality out of a carbon cx bike for 2 grand imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭ magicbastarder

looks like the conversion rate brings it to €4.5k. not that much cheaper than €5k...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,462 ✭✭✭✭ Enfilade

Wireless, electronic gearing will cost you a pretty penny, a BMC with it a small fortune. They make lovely bikes but I'm not a fan of that one.

🚴‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭ nicksnikita

It’s Rival Axs 12-speed though, not the new di2.

That stuff is weighty.

Listed weight for the bike is 1kg I see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,447 ✭✭✭ fat bloke

Ah it's electronic alright, that new Rival axs etap, which is inexplicably heavy. Reportedly 3.2+ kg for just the groupset. 🙄.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭ magicbastarder

the slightly more expensive version is reviewed here (force XPLR groupset)

https://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/bmc-roadmachine-x-one-2022-first-ride-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ Paul Kiernan

It's only rated to take 33c tyres which I don't think is wide enough for gravel/off-road use. That's the same as my Specialized Roubaix, which I wouldn't dream of taking off-road. I also don't see much point of electronic shifting on a x1 setup, the cable works just fine and is much lighter.

good points, electronic 1x is a bit overkill, I’ve had a few cx bikes, the 1x is grand, wouldn’t be going off-road as such, just a bit of poorly surfaced back roads, and some canal paths

Advertisement