Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Duolingo Plus Family Plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

Right so that's everyone paid, thanks folks and happy learning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭lucalux

If anyone's setting up a new family, I'd definitely be up to join!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭shaneos

I’d join too

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Interrobang

I'd take two spots in a new group for myself and a family member.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Romero

I'll take one can pay with Revolut or Paypal.

• Advertisement

So, we now have five with:

1. lucalux

2. shaneos

3. Interrobang 1

4. Interrobang 2

5. Romero

My family member and I are going to get the year sub anyway, but it would be great to get it cheaper if you guys are happy to join us?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Romero

Sure count me in I will take one spot for my wife who uses the free version, DM me details once your all set

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭shaneos

I’ll take a spot too - DM me when ready. Thanks for organising

@Romero, @shaneos - great stuff, thanks. I've just DMed you both.

@lucalux - you in? 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

Count me in

Will do, but hang on for a bit as I've a ticket open with Duolingo about their sub at the moment.

@w4ntedman, @spot555, @Happy_Harry, @Testament1:

Did any of you have any issues when you paid the annual sub? I took a screenshot when I was thinking about signing up for myself and a family member, and the sub was €10.24 a month. Looking at my Google Play now, though, the annual sub is showing as €149.99. I wouldn't have clocked it only something Romero said made me double-check it, so thanks @Romero! I've opened a ticket with DuoLingo support, but did any of you check your subscription charge afterwards and find any discrepancies? TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭w4ntedman

Mine went through €122.99 anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Thanks, both. Customer support came back to me with a stock response along the lines of "yeah, it's an annual sub, not a monthly one, so that's why there's one payment", which tells me that they didn't read the ticket properly 🙄 I've gone back to them pointing out the question I actually asked...

Thanks for confirming, as at least I know that I didn't miss some extra small print charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭lucalux

Just a heads up for anyone thinking of starting a new group to keep an eye on what you are being charged. As above, when I signed up the Family Plan was €10.24 a month, but the charge appeared in my Google Play as €149.99.

I got the stock response in the post above when I queried it, and when I followed up again I got the response below:

So essentially I signed up at the advertised price of €10.24 per month, and they adjusted it without notification. Not on!

I also created a dummy account when I got the above, to double check, and the Family Plan is still showing as €10.24 a month, so I don't know where the price increase story is coming from.

The offer to allow me to resubscribe at the price I actually signed up for "as a courtesy" has ticked me right off. I'd have more respect for them if they just came back and said, "Shite, we made a mistake - sorry about that - sorted it for you now".

Just make sure you are only charged the amount you signed up for.

Had a look at my Google Play Account and they've the same 149.99 charge on mine. Sent a message to Duolingo support but they've yet to respond. Poor form alright.

Ah, bugger. Sorry to hear you got caught, too. It was a dose to chase up, but I got it sorted in the end. I had to cancel and resubscribe, but I made sure I got confirmation in writing from them first that the correct price would be applied. Each of the family members then had to try the new 'Join' link two or three times before they could join again without being booted back out.

We're all sorted now, but it was a PITA, and shoddy business practice on their part. Feel free to PM if you get any pushback from them, and I can send you on screenshots of the email exchange I had with them if you think it would help.

• Advertisement

Took them a couple days to get back to me but Duolingo support said they'll cancel my Plus plan on the 22nd and should get to sign up again for the correct price.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭what?

if any spots going, gladly take one

Or willing to be an instigator if anyone want to join me

For the folks who did it before, sign up for family plan, pay for it and farm out the spots as folks pay is it?

ta

There's a 2 week free trial but still best to have all spots confirmed and paid before you commit to the purchase. And double check your receipt on the Google Play store after. I had to cancel my original family plan after being overcharged and got to sign up again today at €122.99, a 10 cent increase on the OP price but better than the 27 euro extra I got charged originally!

thanks Testament1

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Undercover

Might be on for this if anyone has a spot open...

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Macker

Count me in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭wba88

Count me in

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Undercover

• Advertisement

undercover

wba88

Macker

what?