Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rumour & Speculation Thread (BYO Salt)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,249 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ha, I had to google to see who you were talking about. Forgot all about that. But yeah, definitely a possibility!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

What's this hinting at? Gears of War? 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'd absolutely play the **** out of a Metal Gear Solid 3 remake but would be weird if that was released before a MGS 1 remake. They can keep 2 and 4, no need to touch 5 unless they decide to release the ultimate edition which includes the actual final chapter.

• Advertisement

I'd absolutely love an MGS2 remake as well, though one of the main things they'd need to do differently is animate cutscenes where two characters together in a room decide to have a long discussion over Codec. Animate them and truncate them down to just the important points so they're not so long.

But I can see why they'd jump straight to MGS3 for a remake. MGS1 would require a full blown redesign, because as with Twin Snakes, just implementing the most basic of updated controls, first person aiming, jumping over rails etc, it completely changes the game. MGS2 remake would look great, but isn't going to have the same effect as an MGS3 remake where they can do incredible jungle graphics, animals etc and really use the camoflague system to its fullest extent.

MGS 2 is a weird one for me, I remember almost nothing from it. Actually, all i can remember is the opening tanker level and the reveal of Raiden and thinking who the **** is this guy. I cleared the game but have no memory of it. MGS 3 would look class alright and it's a great game to go with it.

MGS2 is a terrific game. It's crazy how far they pushed the PS2 so early in its life. It definitely has its issues, one of the biggest being the cutscenes can be so long, but characters in the middle of a cutscene will switch to Codec to "avoid eavesdropping" aka "have really long sections of dialogue and exposition without having to animate them". But the story is incredibly prescient of the way the internet and digital landscape has changed how information can be manipulated to change public opinions and stuff.

Gameplay is a lot like MGS1, but the first person shooting and tranq guns really change things up. Level design isn't that great though. Boss fights aren't as memorable either, and there are some boring sections of gameplay built in.

It's in many ways a re-thread of MGS1 in a new location with some changes (by design in terms of the theme and story of the game), and a lot of it probably hasn't aged that well. It was always low on my MGS ranking list, but over time I've a greater appreciation for it.

Also has this moment, which is worthy of a 4K HDR 60FPS fully motion captured remake

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm a bit tired of the video game remake gold rush in general, but the prospect of MGS remakes in particular - presumably without Kojima - is a dubious one. You have a series that was so determinedly driven by the creative vision of one wonderful lunatic - often for better and often for worse - that they remain these fascinating oddities in video game history. Even when the games were bad - MGS4 anyone? - they were bad in a unique, interesting way. Whereas when they were good (more frequently than they were bad), they were also gloriously eccentric, because they had this mad director at the helm who made some of the most distinctive video games in the history of the medium. MGS wouldn't be the same if those odd, indulgent edges were sanded down. It's easy to make video games 'better' technically and tidy up the gameplay quirks, but you often lose something about the original in the process. Resi 4 is a very enjoyable remake, but it also lost something in removing some of the Mikami oddness and imagination along the way.

MGS without Kojima seems kinda wrong to me, especially since games like MGS1, 2 and 3 have aged remarkably well anyway. Given the patchy availability, I'd much prefer to see proper re-releases across multiple platforms that leave the core games and visuals unchanged outside of simple control / quality-of-life / resolution / FPS tweaks.

I'd definitely be hoping for a remake along the lines of Bluepoint's work on Demon's Souls, where the vast, vast majority of the work is purely visual and performance related, and improved AI and some control/QOL improvements. I know some people weren't with some of the soundtrack changes and maybe some character model changes from the original, but on the whole the game was left as it was for the most part.

That's why I think MGS3 would be the best candidate for a remake because I think you could keep the gameplay the same (maybe an option not to go into first-person view when in long grass though), but with modern visuals of a lush jungle landscape. MGS1 though (and maybe MGS2 to a lesser extent), you'd have to go full out with a remake/redesign akin to Resident Evil 2 to make it worth it imo, and like you say, without Kojima I think you'd lose so much from that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I just want a MGS4 rerelease just so people can view it outside of the microcosm of its initial release on a system that people desperately wanted on exclusive game that made the system worthwhile compared to those smug Xbox 360 owners. I just want people to finally agree with me that it's a steaming pile of poo.

Oh yeah, and game preservation or something.

Nah, MGS4 doesn't need a remake. Can't improve on perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Posted in the PS5 thread, and I don't look in here in case I spoil something on myself, but a mate sent me a screenshot showing this:

So I don't see it mentioned, but I was sent a screenshot of an apparant leak for the upcoming PS showcase. I kinda wish I didn't see it, because being surprised by some of these would be nice, one in particular, but for those who are interested:

SPOILER WARNING

The Last of Us Factions (PS5 Exclusive)

Twisted Metal (PS5 Exclusive)

Pragmata

RE4 VR (PSVR2 Exclusive)

Snake Eater: Subsequent (PS5 Console Launch Exclusive)

Silent Hill 2 (PS5 Console Launch Exclusive)

Mortal Kombat

FFVII Rebirth (PS5 Launch Exclusive)

Disney Domination

Astro's Conquest (PSVR2 Exclusive)

Half Life Alyx (PSVR2)

Death Stranding 2 (PS5 Exclusive)

Stellar Blade (PS5 Exclusive)

Hades II

Darkest Dungeon 2

Goodbye Volcano High (PS5 Console Launch Exclusive)

This Diswasher Collection (PS5 Console Launch Exclusive)

Ghost of a Tale 2

Lost Sould Aside (PS5 Console Exclusive)

Killzone (PS5 Console Exclusive)

Ghost of Kamakura (PS5 Exclusive)

Helldivers 2 (PS5 Console Exclusive)

Spiderman 2 (PS5 Exclusive)

Darkside (PS5 Exclusive)

If true, damn...

Saw that myself on Reddit, but reckon it's fake.

Only that bolded one is what makes me think it's not real. But at the same time, that would be a massive win for PS.

I still think it has a chance of appearing. Maybe not this showcase, but sometime.

What made me think this list was fake was the poor grammar!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Valve are multiformat. Honestly think that's a pretty believable list.

Don't like seeing ps5 exclusive rather than launch exclusive. I'd rather not have to buy one!

How I feel with every Nintendo release since the WiiU. Some day... But you'll get a PS5 eventually. When they release the Bloodborne remake/sequel which will be a PS5 exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭recyclops

Well Sony really need a reason to own a Ps5 for one and a psvr especially, this will sway a few people.

The Ps5 launch exclusive on others is what's swaying me to get rid of my Ps5 once silent hill 2 remake goes outside of Ps5 the console is gone while still valuable.

Having a showcase of where a big launch is generic open world during tears of the kingdom hype is madness really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Can they really call RE4 VR a PSVR2 exclusive when it isn't?

Yeah it would be for the remake. The other vr is an oculus exclusive.

The actor who is rumoured to play Jason, the co-main character in GTA 6, put up a pic of himself in Miami recently followed by this where he is wearing the same clothes as his character in the leaked video. No idea where the rumour started off this guy playing Jason but the internet seems to think he's absolutely the guy and now he's staying to tease the announcement. Either that or it's a good troll attempt.

Tbh the oculus remake is the best way to play re4 remake included. A VR version of the remake is pointless imo.

No idea about this guy, but an announcement for the game must be due soon given the financial predictions from Take Two's recent earnings call.

The voice actor of Alan Wake says the new game is out in October.

Tom Henderson says the MGS3 remake isn't a PS exclusive, and will also appear on XB and Steam.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Frankly I'd much rather companies spend the resources to create proper, respectful re-releases of classic games over remaking them.

Advertisement