Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Extra Bank Holiday and other compensation for Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭hawley

Meanwhile SMEs get no help. Facing increased water charges from today, huge increases in electricity and insurance. Going to have to pay redundancy for any employees because they've lost so much business they can't take thrm back. Huge increases for self employed PRSI and increases in worker PRSI. Also going to have to lose out if extra bank holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

SMEs got lots of subsidies during the pandemic.

Bank holidays affect many SMEs in a positive way.

Every business has to contend with energy price increases, not just SMEs. It's part of doing business.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

Get one thing right the majority of people on PUP payments were told to go home for 350 a week were and asked to stop working , its not like they had a choice. We all went through covid nearly every individual in some shape or form had to do things they normally did not have to and had to stop working the way they normally would. Why should anyone be getting something extra for doing their job? As I said before all of the public sector would of been paid a full wage, O.T, 2 annual increments and payments towards their pension. So does this mean that when we see proof of Garda blowing into breathalyzers and fabricating work they supposedly did we can ask for all of the public sector to lose some pay. (as the way this is panning out with the different unions staking a claim it would be justified) its ridiculous. They did their job they got paid - you would swear their employer hadn't got a 250 billion debt hanging over their shoulder or that they don't have to borrow 17 billion this year. So a bank holiday for all is the fairest way to address this

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

More whataboutery .

Public servants getting minimal payrise and increments which are part of their contract. Pensions are contributory and compensate for not working in private sector where those qualifications would earn quite a bit more . It just balances out .

Nobody denying we all went through it , just the ritual slagging off of those who had to go out and face it everyday head on or those who worked well beyond what they were paid for, is getting very tiresome from you and a few others here .

As for some guards then yes, those who are found to have behaved in this manner in ANY job should be disciplined / given the door. I think you will find they are inthe minority among public servants, and that point is a little tenuous tbf .

Facts about the PUP ....

A bank holiday will most likely be it , as has been said from page one here .

I don't think a bank holiday or financial compensation is necessary. The country is not in a good way financially so I'd rather we put the money and time we do have to better use. How are the receivers of such a bonus even determined? Are fronting workers those in health care and what sort of health care? What about retail workers, or people self employed who are public facing?

There are sectors of society really struggling right now so I don't think compensating groups of people for doing their job is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

You seem to forget that the countries debt bought things that everyone benefited from in one way or another. It wasn't just for the benefit of the public sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,923 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

As I predicted this has and is leading to serious division. I can't recall we're the original call for a Covid Bonus (Ghastly description), recognition concept came from, I'm presuming from health sector unions .

The Teacher unions were forced into grovelling back tracking all week, mortifying stuff and at this stage the entire idea is just becoming an embarrassing spectacle.

There was this brilliant Cartoon in yesterday's Indo, which pretty much sums up what this has become .

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Yeah, it’s become a farce at this stage. Whether they do it or not, certain sections are going to be unhappy. Best thing to do would be to just scrap it altogether and save the many millions it’s going to cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

We seem to have a proliferation of accountants giving out about the cost of this. We've had a large national debt for years that has certainly increased due to Covid but what difference will an extra bank holiday or some sort of financial recognition for certain sectors [i]really[/i] make? Not a whole lot would be my guess.

I don't see any problem in an extra bank holiday. Firstly we are below average in the amount we have compared to other European countries apparently.

Secondly, we are (hopefully) coming to the end of a global pandemic that has affected the world and our own lives in a way we couldn't have fathomed 2 years ago. A once in a lifetime event (again, hopefully) that will still likely be talked about in 10 or even 20 years time. Many people have lost their lives and livelihoods. I just don't see a good reason as to why a day marking this is a bad idea.

I'd be less of a fan of giving a financial bonus to people. Not because people like nurses/doctors don't deserve it; but moreso in where would you stop. The government quite simply could not win.

OK if you want to bring the contract into play you show me where where in the contract it states that they deserve extra for doing a good job. We all know their rewarded in their contract for time served with increments and pensions those in the private sector can only dream about? So IMO the PS deserve to be slagged off. One sector - the HSE actually did a good job for once instead of what we normally see as in waiting lists, cervical check scandals, xray scandals, budget overcooked annually and instead of just getting on with it they want extra for actually doing what they are paid for then the icing on the cake is the rest of the PS are going what about me. Its actually pretty disgusting when we are borrowing so much and so much in debt.

• Advertisement

The fact is it wont be you or I paying the debt back it will be our kids and grand kids and I don't think its right to be giving any extra to anyone who simply did a good job when they were allowed to continue working and got paid their wage, they got OT , they got increments in their pay and they are getting money paid into their pension. So if this precedent is set for the public sector and they all get paid more for a subset doing a good job then when a subset of the PS make a b0ll0x of it and there are numerous examples of this in recent history then they should be getting pay cuts across the board is that alright as just as night follows day the next scandal/issue with the P.S is just around the corner and we could save ourselves a heap of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Not arguing with you. You've an issue with the PS full stop. That's obvious from your history.

Let's just get rid of it and privatise it. Would you prefer that?

Of course when there's no money to be made and the shareholders are unhappy, those services will be cut or discontinued but I'm sure you'll be OK with that too since it's private sector and not public.

Agree that this is just a total political football this stage and we are all getting totally worked up over something that is not going to happen .

@[Deleted User] yes of course, there are a lot more things and people to be spending our money on . I just hate to see people slagging off groups on here that have genuinely worked so hard . There are so many decent posters here who like yourself will take a balanced view of things it is a shame to read some of the other comments .

However a day of remembrance / healing as @Degag said would be fitting . So many people have lost people or their livelihoods , or their peace of mind , that something needs to be done to recognise and attempt to bring people together again , if that is possible .

In another life I worked for the public sector. It was in an area that I feel goes mostly unnoticed by many. I can very much relate to the importance of being appreciated for difficult work. I have no time for pitting professions against each other. Some like your good self were in the firing line during the pandemic. I'm very thankful that you and your colleagues showed up day after day.

I'm also thankful to the girls in the coffee shop on my way to work and the sales assistants in retail and the people keeping public transport going and I've a list as long as both arms.

I don't think we can afford to give money to everyone and I don't think it's fair to leave groups out. So maybe we should just not do anything right now. Next year an event might be an idea, some kind of country wide celebration of every person in this country for getting through.

I think I have an idea of the type of work that I imagine you doing because of the compassionate and empathetic posts you always write !

We are all traumatised in different ways because of everything that has happened over the last 18 months and longer, and is still going on for some. Some , the nightmare of what it was to work through Covid , and others the daily struggle of getting through another day either living alone or trying to manage with young children through the lockdown .

I don't fall into any of those categories really as I have been lucky to work with a great team kf people who supported each other and counselled one another throughout .

I will always worry about my children no matter how old , but that is a mothers' lot in life! One is severely immunocompromised so that will always be a concern but the extra vaccine for him which we have heard he is in line for, should improve his situation.

I don't particularly want or need anything other than that , but I know a lot of nursing colleagues who were severely out of pocket since the first lockdown as they had a lot of difficulty accessing childcare to go to work, and I do think they should be compensated .

Other than those sort of situations I would be very much on the side of essential retail workers , delivery people and those that kept buses running also , but where to draw the line ?

Better no more division at this stage . Poor form of the politicians flying kites over all this.

Some people are still scared and are finding it hard to get back to normal and others can't wait to get out of this country and blame all those in authority for whatever is happening with them and everything that has happened . There are a large majority who are somewhere in between and just trying to get back to normal but unsure what that is going to look like .

While I agree there are many areas that need a boost there are also some who need a bit of happiness and good stuff coming their way .

Maybe get through the winter and sometime next Spring a day would be good for everyone to have and to enjoy .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

This "catching up with EU counterparts" bit always makes me laugh. While on paper Ireland may have "less" public holidays than on the continent, if a public holiday falls on a weekend in Europe, it is not moved to Monday. If it falls on a Thursday there's no Friday off. Ireland is in reality no worse off for bank holidays than any other country.

As for the 1% pay rise, this is far preferable to a one off bonus as it is permanent, even if it's only €100 per month. However, I believe structural changes are more important for health workers. Gardai (unless dealing with "illegal gatherings", then they deserve a Purple Heart :D), Teachers and other public/ civil servants need to grow up and shut up. "It's not us, it's the unions" is the new chant. If you're a member of a union, you cannot expect to have distance from your comrades.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The public holiday at the weekend is true of most of Europe but not all. It'd be interesting to see see how it panned out though.

Not sure what you mean by getting a Friday off too if a public holiday falls on a Thursday. Where does that happen? I've only ever got the day itself off.

And yes, an extra day off is a nice equitable solution that won't breed resentment.

Say for example, the 5th of May is a public holiday in a country- if this is on a Thursday, no Friday off to bridge to the weekend. In fact, where I am the 5th of May is a public holiday, but you only get a day off once every 5 years. Good Friday is a public holiday, but the employer can decide whether or not it is an official day off. In 15 years I've only had it off 1 year.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Not sure where you are, but if the public holiday was a Thursday here you do not get the Friday off to bridge the weekend either. We only get a Monday when the bank holiday falls at the weekend. There's no bridging for extra long weekends in Ireland.

But that's my point. If Christmas and St Stephen's day fall on a Saturday and Sunday here, tough luck- you're down 2 bank holidays this year, as well as New Year's day the following year. I suppose you wouldn't need the bridging day in Ireland, because most of the public holidays are on Monday anyway, right?

• Advertisement

I have no issue with the public sector I do have an issue with Unions, collective bargaining and how they go about business. The question needs to be asked how a subset of society none of whom have been voted in by anyone in the country can hold a gun to the head of nation with the threat of strikes. The fact is money which is earmarked for sections with in the public sector for services has been taken away from services and paid into public sector wage, pensions and other perks for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭KaneToad

If you top out at 49k...after full 40 yrs service, lump-sum will be 73.5k and annual pension will be 24.5k. the 24.5k includes the state pension (12,911).

If you never worked a day in your life you would get an annual state pension of 12,324.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

i don’t imagine the country would be in the best shape to start paying bonuses or financial compensation to all our healthcare workers. I think also it would be grossly unfair to limit it to simply frontline staff. Plenty of people in administrative positions went over and above too... less risk granted...

i think perhaps an extra couple of days annual leave post pandemic might be appropriate however..

How about we look at the amount of sick days that are taken in the public sector in comparison to the private sector over the last decade and then factor in not one forced redundancy during the last crash in 08 or not one person told to go out on the 350 a week PUP payment during covid, add in a guaranteed pension with a payrise no matter how good bad or ugly you are at your job then add in O.T that was paid during the pandemic and we say thanks front line workers for finally giving us some bang for our buck and lets just leave it at that.

I don't know where you are coming from here .

1% pay increase is nothing to do with Covid .

Nurses that are part of a union would be in support of that union. Not all nurses are INMO . Just like not all teachers are INTO .

Bank holidays are never' bridged 'for essential retail and healthcare workers who are often working right through so called holiday weekends .

I have worked every second Christmas for my whole working life and any bank holidays are just added to annual leave and taken whenever you can . What we would normally do is work out a rota to cover the entire holiday period then take our holidays around that ti try to give people a good break ove either one , Christmas or New Year . All bets are off if it gets very busy which unfortunately happens a lot these days . I have often come back in to work when on annual leave because it is too busy .

To the person who keeps saying that nurses only worked according to contract , many have still not been paid for overtime worked during the first wave and the rest , and meal breaks which couldn't be taken as staff were unable to leave ( in intensive care and Covid wards )

That particular issue has gone to the labour court .

The point about a bank holiday is everybody can enjoy it at some stage , if not on the day , so I think once introduced yes , it is permanent .

As for Christmas , on the Continent they get 15 to 16 bank holidays in many countries so they can afford to lose the odd Christmas or New Year that falls on a weekend .

I have friends working in France who love the holidays there:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The teacher union rep on the Katie Hannon radio show was back tracking like mad. I was embarassed for him because he was denying a union demand that they clearly made a couple of days previous. Katie read it back to him and he started waffling. Katie read out a few teachers texts where they were mortified. You'd have to wonder whether teachers unions are a law unto themselves. They have performed poorly throughout Covid.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,923 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

God it was painful, I was actually watching it on the news channel, I'm sure at one stage he tried to get under the table and hide 😀

Katie really went for it 😅

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

I was making an entirely hypothetical situation- bonus of €1000 vs 1% pay increase. I would take the pay increase.

Check with your friends in France if they get the same amount of public holidays every year, or if employers are obliged to honour all public holidays as listed on Wikipedia 😅. No country has 15 or 16 public holidays per year, typical "we had the longest lockdown" type exaggeration here. This year I have 5. Last year I had 7. Next year I have 6. Some years I could have 9. Ireland is guaranteed 9 bank holidays every year.

Don't those working in the health service have time off in lieu? Anti social hours pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Has it been decided when the holiday will be... i did hear it may coincide with THANKSGIVING DAY... any know....

• Advertisement

I will respectfully disagree with your use of the word 'always' Golden 😊 Everything else in your post is spot on. The pandemic has left its mark in different ways. Due to our uniqueness one person's walk in the park is another's nightmare. It's immeasurable really and unfair to try. There are those who sailed through the past 18 months quite happily maybe even in the face of economic hardship. Isn't interesting though at this stage, a really positive optimistic place, that there are arguments over who should get what or not. Just on the whole public vs private debate, I find the level anger so odd. I remember years ago a girl I was friendly with had a corporate type job in the private sector. She was 9 to 5pm Monday to Friday and had bonuses. Every year she would receive a massive lump sum. And there was me with 12 hour shifts and sometimes being petrified to work. I felt resentful at times so I had to remind myself that I chose my profession and she chose hers. Certainly I wouldn't have had the least bit of interest in her job. I also reminded myself that we were both two people doing our best for a wage and had far more in common as humans than employees.

Advertisement