Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

9-hole courses

• 23-09-2021 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭ PeaSea

I've recently came back to golf after about a 30 year absence, I say golf but I only ever played par 3 really, not proper golf.

I've spent this year on the driving range totally re-inventing my swing which was a contender for the worst you've ever seen. I'd like to do some pay and play golf, but at the moment I only feel capable of doing 9 holes, not a full round.

So, any recommended courses that are 9 holes only ? Particularly interested in the lesser known courses as the headliners like Blessington and Cruit Island are well documented. I should add that we tour around the country in a caravan a fair bit so nowhere is out of reach.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Jason_Arch

There's Buncrana Golf Club (a bit closer to Buncrana town than the bigger Northwest Golf Club) and Cloughaneely Golf Club beside Falcarragh village in Donegal. Both lovely courses, one a links and one a parkland so good variety. They're both very beginner friendly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭ brick tamland

Castelgregory is apparently one of the highest rated 9 holers in the world (no idea how ratings are done) . No shortage of mobile home places in vacinity either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭ 2ndcoming

I mean, you haven't given us some pretty important info - you could be based anywhere.

Around West Dublin / North Kildare there's Grange Castle which is pay & play has a 7 hole practice course, R&R Golf club near Maynooth / Dunboyne which is pay & play and you can play 9. Elm Hall near Celbridge is a decent 9 hole course and only about €15 for visitors.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭ slave1

Spanish Point, 9 hole at Enniscone and Castlerock too, three lovely links choices

• Registered Users Posts: 19,553 ✭✭✭✭ PARlance

I'll vouch for that, played it this summer and some cracking holes on it. Beautiful setting as well.

In the West there's;

The 9 hole at Enniscrone - a flat links with nice greens. Haven't played it but looks ideal for a beginner.

Mulranny 9 hole, beautiful setting and a relatively flat links with no dunes. It's where I started playing a bit of my early golf, a quirky but lovely course.

And even though you want to get away from Par 3's, there's an 18 hole par 3 course in Balla and it's great for getting started golfing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭ PeaSea

Thanks all, I'm based in Armagh and I know of most 9 hole courses in the North OK, but as I say we tour about the country in the caravan a fair bit, so the idea is to throw the clubs in the car and have a few rounds wherever we go, so no geographical limitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭ billyhead

Rush, North County Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭ downthemiddle

I'll second Cloughaneely. Little did I think when I was robbing the orchard as a kid that my first competitive hole in one would be out the back of that orchard.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭ TXPTGR1

Tubercurry is a cracker

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭ Dtoffee

Carrickmines and Foxrock are both good 9 hole courses in south Dublin........ not sure about bringing the caravan into their car park though 🤣

• Advertisement

😊 Theres a good site in Corkagh Park next to Clondalkin so not that far.

Just noticed theres a 7 (!) hole course in Grange Castle also beside Corkagh Park ... well thats handy 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 23 thefloor

I wish there were more 9 hole or even 7 hole courses in North Dublin. Think there is a market for it, as there are a lot of time poor people particularly in Dublin who just dont have 5 hours to play a full course, but who want something more than a pitch and put or par3 course.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭ slave1

Wouldn't it be an idea for clubs to dedicate one evening a week to split their course into two par 3 courses, run qualifying comps too!

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭ 1967

Dunmore East GC here in Waterford has gone back to 9 holes and Borris in Co Carlow was always nice 9 hole course also Tramore GC has Newtown 9 hole besides main 18 hole

Thanks all these are great ... 3 counties that we would stay in but I know of no 9 hole courses are Wexford, Kilkenny and (South) Tipp - anyone know of any ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,797 ✭✭✭✭ callaway92

Definitely none in Tipp anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭ silver2020

Cill Dara Golf Club almost fits the bill. It has 10 holes 😂

Located Kildare Town on the Curragh

But with many clubs you can choose to play 9 holes as the 9th/10th is near the club house. Birr is a classic example of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭ homer911

• Registered Users Posts: 12,797 ✭✭✭✭ callaway92

For anyone ever wanting a quick game in Killarney, my father often stays at Castlerosse Hotel and loves the 9 Hole course there. Granted, his 'needs' for a Golf Course are basic, but he enjoys it.

I play Ballyheigue in Kerry a good bit but since they've hiked the prices to a disgusting price I'll prob leave it from now on.

Advertisement