Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

9-hole courses

• 23-09-2021 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

I've recently came back to golf after about a 30 year absence, I say golf but I only ever played par 3 really, not proper golf.

I've spent this year on the driving range totally re-inventing my swing which was a contender for the worst you've ever seen. I'd like to do some pay and play golf, but at the moment I only feel capable of doing 9 holes, not a full round.

So, any recommended courses that are 9 holes only ? Particularly interested in the lesser known courses as the headliners like Blessington and Cruit Island are well documented. I should add that we tour around the country in a caravan a fair bit so nowhere is out of reach.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Jason_Arch

There's Buncrana Golf Club (a bit closer to Buncrana town than the bigger Northwest Golf Club) and Cloughaneely Golf Club beside Falcarragh village in Donegal. Both lovely courses, one a links and one a parkland so good variety. They're both very beginner friendly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Castelgregory is apparently one of the highest rated 9 holers in the world (no idea how ratings are done) . No shortage of mobile home places in vacinity either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I mean, you haven't given us some pretty important info - you could be based anywhere.

Around West Dublin / North Kildare there's Grange Castle which is pay & play has a 7 hole practice course, R&R Golf club near Maynooth / Dunboyne which is pay & play and you can play 9. Elm Hall near Celbridge is a decent 9 hole course and only about €15 for visitors.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Spanish Point, 9 hole at Enniscone and Castlerock too, three lovely links choices

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I'll vouch for that, played it this summer and some cracking holes on it. Beautiful setting as well.

In the West there's;

The 9 hole at Enniscrone - a flat links with nice greens. Haven't played it but looks ideal for a beginner.

Mulranny 9 hole, beautiful setting and a relatively flat links with no dunes. It's where I started playing a bit of my early golf, a quirky but lovely course.

And even though you want to get away from Par 3's, there's an 18 hole par 3 course in Balla and it's great for getting started golfing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

Thanks all, I'm based in Armagh and I know of most 9 hole courses in the North OK, but as I say we tour about the country in the caravan a fair bit, so the idea is to throw the clubs in the car and have a few rounds wherever we go, so no geographical limitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭billyhead

Rush, North County Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

I'll second Cloughaneely. Little did I think when I was robbing the orchard as a kid that my first competitive hole in one would be out the back of that orchard.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Tubercurry is a cracker

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

Carrickmines and Foxrock are both good 9 hole courses in south Dublin........ not sure about bringing the caravan into their car park though 🤣

• Advertisement

😊 Theres a good site in Corkagh Park next to Clondalkin so not that far.

Just noticed theres a 7 (!) hole course in Grange Castle also beside Corkagh Park ... well thats handy 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 23 thefloor

I wish there were more 9 hole or even 7 hole courses in North Dublin. Think there is a market for it, as there are a lot of time poor people particularly in Dublin who just dont have 5 hours to play a full course, but who want something more than a pitch and put or par3 course.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Wouldn't it be an idea for clubs to dedicate one evening a week to split their course into two par 3 courses, run qualifying comps too!

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Dunmore East GC here in Waterford has gone back to 9 holes and Borris in Co Carlow was always nice 9 hole course also Tramore GC has Newtown 9 hole besides main 18 hole

Thanks all these are great ... 3 counties that we would stay in but I know of no 9 hole courses are Wexford, Kilkenny and (South) Tipp - anyone know of any ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Definitely none in Tipp anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Cill Dara Golf Club almost fits the bill. It has 10 holes 😂

Located Kildare Town on the Curragh

But with many clubs you can choose to play 9 holes as the 9th/10th is near the club house. Birr is a classic example of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭homer911

• Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

For anyone ever wanting a quick game in Killarney, my father often stays at Castlerosse Hotel and loves the 9 Hole course there. Granted, his 'needs' for a Golf Course are basic, but he enjoys it.

I play Ballyheigue in Kerry a good bit but since they've hiked the prices to a disgusting price I'll prob leave it from now on.

Advertisement