Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Michael Higgins Praises Travellers Contribution to Irish Society

• 22-09-2021 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭ hawley

President Higgins said this research is extremely worrying and serves a clear reminder of the many challenges which are faced by Irish Travellers.

He continued by thanking members of the Traveller community for their role in Irish society.

“I thank you for your continued resolve to participate in that society – bravely combatting the hurtful discrimination and rejection which is so often your experience. "By working together, you have already achieved so much.

As a society we can learn a great deal from your inspiring spirit of solidarity, a spirit that reminds us of the shared sense of humanity that must define any truly democratic nation,” he added.

I fail to see what positive contribution that Travellers make to Irish society. They have very low employment rates, little interest in education and bettering themselves and are massively overrepresented in the prison population. Michael doesn't seem to care about members of the public who have to deal with them on a regular basis. The reality is that they have been pandered to by the Irish state and have offered nothing in return. Michael then blames their failings on ordinary Irish people.

Comments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭ Shebean

So you don't like him for refusing an invite from one minority and you don't like him for talking about the plight of another minority.

I'm sure it's convenient to put an entire section of society in a box and tar the entire group all at at once based on their ethnicity, gifting negative stereotypes to every man jack of them. Isn't there a term for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,701 ✭✭✭✭ One eyed Jack

Michael D makes a point about the degree of discrimination that travellers face in Irish society. OP makes like they don’t understand the point and goes on to level all sorts of accusations at travellers as a whole… 🤔

Well done OP, well done 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ CGI_Livia_Soprano

Disclaimer: If you reply to any of my posts with absurd hypothetical scenarios, lame "gotchas," or speculating that I don't really believe what I am saying, I'm not gonna bother my hole replying. Thanks.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire

#bekind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭ Billy Mays

Obviously 😂

OP believes he is though. Said so in the other Michael D thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,997 ✭✭✭✭ osarusan

It's traveller pride week, so if he was going to comment, it was always going to be something positive.

Do people really think he's going to use the occasion to make negative comments?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,319 ✭✭✭✭ Dempo1

Is it remotely possible there could be such a thing as "Traveller Pride", asking for many friend's 🤔

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭ end of the road

not going to happen given it's not required and it would be discriminatory, not to mention that all existing legislation covers any crime that would or could be committed by the criminal element of the traveling community perfectly fine, including where that crime is organised.

julian the journalist asange is innocent, free julian the journalist.

• Advertisement
Advertisement