Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NCT with Engine replaced

Options
  • 12-09-2021 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

Looking at swapping an engine but can anyone advise what I need to do or documents for nct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

First thing you need to do is delare the change the details with Motor Tax office in Shannon, this will then update the vehicle particulars on the logbook so engine number and cc if that also changes. Then when you go for NCT if they check engine number against logbook it will match. This is done via Form 111, link below...

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/RF111_en.pdf

If the car is currently on the post 2008 emissions based tax as far as I know the motor tax doesn't change regardless of what engine goes in. From an insurance point of view they may need to be notified of the change, particularly if the cc of the car changes as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭kdevitt

NCT won’t have any interest in your engine swap - only impact is your road tax (If cc increases) and insurance.

You might find that you can’t insure the car once you call them though (if it’s not an identical engine that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭User1998

Engine number is not checked during the NCT. Only the VIN is checked. I’ve swapped out engines and went through the NCT with no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Comment_below

You don't even need to bring your logbook to the nct

I don't know why everyone seems to bring it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Because the NCT tell you to bring it: https://www.ncts.ie/1123/

Section 11: How can I best prepare for the NCT and what documents should I bring.

"Don't forget to bring your vehicle registration book, registration certificate or licensing certificate and your test fee!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

I also checked this with the NCT HO - It's a requirement to bring it, but not a requirement for the tester to check it (that's optional apparently, lol).

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

Advertisement