Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DayVan insurance

Options
  • 03-09-2021 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi wondering if anyone can help? I've always had bigger camper vans and insured them with Dolmen. But now tis just the wife and myself so we are looking at buying a VW Transporter or Caravelle. I rang Dolmen but they told me it has to be 1.8m inside, obviously these vans are not that tall. The Caravelle I'm going to look at is apparently a camper on the logbook 🤷‍♂️ but a couple of others are just converted but not changed over.

Does anyone know how I go about insuring one as a camper or am I better off just insuring as private ? If private is better where would ye recommend?

Thanks a million 😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭Shoog

There is not really a class of day van insurance in Ireland and it is very difficult to get private insurance on a commercial.

Your only option is to meet the requirements dolmens have stipulated, ie front to back access and 1.8m, or join the motor caravan club of Ireland and get their insurance. They will want their own engineer to inspect the van.

If someone is selling a conversion that is not changed over it is usually because they discover they cannot get it insured and are trying to shift their mistake onto an unsuspecting buyer.

In short, the Irish brokers hate diy conversions and small campers.

Shoog

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭pongo69

• Registered Users Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭Shoog

My camper is a VW T4 and a low roof camper with no front to back assess. It is a camper on the logbook but none of the regular insurers will touch it for those reasons. Because it's vintage I have it with the iveta as a classic, but that is very limited cover. This year I am adding in a revolving seat to allow front to back access and also adding a high roof. Once this is done I will try the regular insurers again.

What is on the logbook makes little difference to the decision an insurer makes to accept you.

Shoog

Advertisement