Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 2021 Round 13: Dutch Grand Prix

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

It was nearly harder staying awake during the national anthem than it was the race.

Roll on Monza

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Both Alpine drivers in the points. I'm happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I doubt you'll see Lizzie in Silverstone anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Good race, great result. Delighted.

• Advertisement

Bit of a **** race but one of the rare circuits that the cars actually look interesting going around. Result makes it easier to put up with too. :P

Merc and Bottas, well Jesus. Pitting him to make sure Hamilton would even have to look at him when going for his fastest lap is just so sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Mercedes were a joke today, and Bottas the ultimate yes man. George Russell is going to be the yes man next season. Hope he's ready for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭McFly85

I could listen to Rosberg grill Toto all day, he doesn’t give an inch!

Enjoyable to get back to straight racing, Mercedes were good but RB were better. Monza should be a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

He grilled some lad from Aston Martin earlier too about the Vettel and Haas episode - basically telling him to suck it up as you put your car in that position.

The above and the Toto interview, coupled with the comments about Hamilton with Button earlier would make you wish Netflix where there when Rosberg and Hamilton were teammates.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Will this is a good interview for Lando

• Advertisement

Rosberg v Hamilton is probably what got dts commissioned in the first place!

This season though has been easily the most entertaining since then. Max is the most talented driver out there right now IMO but Lewis is phenomenal especially when his back is in a corner. It’s F1 at its best.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Good weekend for Ferrari into 3rd in the constructor's championship.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Russell has a lot of time on his side. Bottas is 32 and never wanted to break through the barrier like Rosberg did.

Russell is 23, and knows Hamilton won't be around forever. If Hamilton can win his 8th title this season or next season then the necessity for Russell to be a number 2 weakens.

An incredible weekend from Max under such intense pressure. No DRS and a couple of slipped gears on his pole lap and still nails it.

Many many world championships in the future if he has the car under him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Rosberg putting everyone to the sword today in these interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭barryribs

Great circuit and great race. Two drivers at the top of their game, regardless of who wins it this year, it will have been earned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Rosberg being his ussual self on sky stirring up Trouble with Jenson at any opportunity 🤣

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

That's because he has a backbone, unlike Bottas.

It's all the more impressive that he managed to win the title against Hamilton, despite the fact that he had to overcome internal strife and stand up for himself and not allow himself to be bullied into submission.

Then we have to cast our mind back to 2007 where McLaren actively worked against Alonso winning the title due to their favouritism towards Hamilton, which allowed Kimi Raikkonen to ensure neither of them won it.

Full respect to Rosberg, he called out the nonsense for what it was and fought back. He will always have my respect. Bottas has just allowed himself to be bullied for years. Should leave the grid and give his seat to someone who actually wants to put up a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭chicorytip

He certainly acquitted himself well enough this weekend. Nice pass on Latifi there at the end. Raikkonen might not have fared much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭barryribs

The irony in this comment is that team mates fighting each other is exactly what cost McLaren the 2007 drivers championship. Gone off the deep end today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Rosberg has had little to overcome in his career compared to Hamilton being the privileged son of a former world champion. He was also Toto's guy. Lewis was Lauda's guy. He had the best car in the field at his disposal. If I were to rate him in comparison to the other world champions from the last thirty years I would say he is by far the least talented driver of the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Nico is hilarious - just said that there is a rumour going around the paddock that Netflix were called to Toto's office to film George signing a contract

• Registered Users Posts: 13,354 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Boring procession or decent race ?, I know there was concern here that the track was too narrow for passing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I said earlier, and I stand by it, that this wasn't a classic by any means but it was needed to keep the championship alive.

That’s the big call. Merc want Hamilton to break the record before any team racing happens.

But as good as Russell is, he’s no Hamilton, so even if Max wins this year I’d say there’s little danger of team competition in Mercedes for a couple of years at least.

I hate being too harsh on Bottas, he was hired to complement the team objective of getting Lewis titles. And in that, he’s performed very well.

He doesn’t have the ability to challenge and I think that’s going to end up gnawing at him, being one of the few to be given a chance to drive a top tier car.

But theres also been times where Merc just treat him like some sh*t on their shoe that I won’t miss. Like today, my heart sank for him when I hear the “Valtteri, it’s James..” He should have gone for it, Mercedes would get the same constructor points anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

For me it was not a bad race but definitely not a good one. Max was flying in the red bull and I like that Lewis tried to make it race at times. Bottas did as he was told but was cheeky taking the fastest lap. Perez I know will get praise for getting up to 6th was it but he should have been a comfortable 4th given the pace difference at the front as Gasly was even lapped. Right decision taken the penalties with him this week ,but he is now. Behind Bottas in the drivers championship and bottas been unlucky and poor this season.

I hope Ferrari bring the engine to Monza , just to mess with the front.

Poor weekend for McLaren Norris did well to get into the points.

Decent weekend for Alpine .

Alpha Tauri would be fighting for third in the construction championship if they didn't have Yuki , seems like a damn good car

Poor ish form Aston. I thought stroll did ok he and George had a battle the whole way . Pitting decision seemed wrong from them .

Vettel recovery from his spin was ok but could have only been slightly better this weekend. Never saw them getting anything other than maybe one point if luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

You now have to count back ten races to find the last time that Mercedes won a GP without taking out the competition on lap 1. Astonishing that the championship is still close really, it says a lot about the toothlessness of the penalties given compared to the massive gains to be made by punting your rival off the track.

Enjoyable race today, was worried overtaking would be completely impossible but there were some good moves and it's nice to see when they're hard fought rather than straightforward DRS overtakes down the straight. The track layout and the different lines were great to watch. I said it already but would have loved to see proper F1 cars from 10 or 15 years ago going at it around that circuit. Looking forward to next year's event already, though I hope they find a solution to Q1 traffic before then.

You would assume Monza will suit Mercedes but Verstappen has confounded expectations time and again this year so we will have to see. I get the impression the rest of the grid are dropping further and further back from the front runners now, likely a result of the ongoing shift in focus to the new 2022 cars. The tightness of this year's championship could be good news for the likes of Ferrari or Alpine who will want to make big gains in the new formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭klose

Not a classic by any stretch, perez recovery drive the highlight of the day, another lap or two and he probably would've caught sainz & alonso.

Max needed a perfect driver and thats what he delivered, the pressure he must have been feeling id say was something else.

I wonder the circumstances of Russell arrival will mean for him, I think will be eager to challenge but untill Hamilton breaks Schumacher record (if he ever does) he will be the number one barring Russell arriving and tearing **** up from day one. I feel sorry almost for Bottas, knows he's only a pawn at merc and probably can't wait for the season to be over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Rosberg being his ussual self on sky stirring up Trouble with Jenson at any opportunity 🤣

Advertisement