We've partnered up with to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from and get an exclusive discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Water pipe for tams shed

  • 24-08-2021 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭ Tileman

    in the department spec for animal housing for tams shed it says u must use pipe to certain standard which is a blue pipe or black pipe with blue stripe. Local co op didn’t have blue pipe in the size I wanted. I got the 1/2 heavy gauge which has blue writing on the side. Is that the correct specification?

    also builder propping to put it under floor and have the pipe come up where each of the water Troughs will be. I’d be a bit cautious of putting water connectors under concrete. Would u agree?


  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ mr.stonewall

    Never had and issue with fittings under concrete. Take time to fitting and pressure test before the pour. Once fitting is installed correctly and set in concrete. It's not going to budge.

    A friend did a shed recently and ran a single pipe at each drinker. All connections were made in a manhole outside the shed. Bit tough to make fittings in a small space

  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭ Tileman

    sorry I double posted this thread as it went into cyber space when I first went to load it. so mods please delete either or merge. Thanks

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭ DBK1

    It may or may not be correct depending on the manufacturer.

    I know Cork Plastics heavy gauge pipe is not possible to be used as it’s made to an older specification.

    The specification it has to adhere to is “IS EN 12201”.

    Cork Plastics piping is made to specification “IS 1341977”

    This is an older spec from 1977. EN12201 is a newer spec from 2011 and it supersedes IS 1341977.

    To give you a simple answer the best thing to do is ask the co-op to contact their supplier and confirm in writing or by email that their pipe conforms to specification IS EN 12201.

  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭ Tileman

    Thanks for reply. It is cork plastic who manufactured it. Think I will bring it back and get the blue piping instead.

    I tried to attach pic but it won’t load .

    what size is the equivalent in blue piping. 20 mm ?

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭ DBK1

    Yep agreed. If there are only 2 or 3 troughs it can be handy enough to just run a pipe to each trough. If there’s a lot of troughs it would be a lot of work.

    If fittings are done properly there is no issue with joining them underground. Just make sure the proper “top hat” insert is used in the pipe before it is put into the joiner and the joiner is then properly tightened with a Stilson.

    A lot of people don’t even know that inserts exist for the Philmac fittings. The joiners will work fine without them 90% of the time and of above ground that’s ok but for underground insist on the inserts being used. It only takes seconds to put them in.

  • Advertisement